Kinetico Water Softener unit has rust accumulation?

Users who are viewing this thread

BarryChapman

Reaction score
Hi all - I am new here and found this site through google, as I am not having much luck getting answers.

I have a kinetico water softener system and we were having some pressure problems in outside hoses. I called the company that installed it, and the installers came out and said that the issue was due to excessive iron buildup inside the unit. They showed me that there was indeed rust/iron inside the unit. It still seems to function inside the house as far as softening the water.

The technician said we should replace the entire system ($8,500+!!!)

I called the well company to get their opinion - and they told me that the lack of pressure was due to the air pressure on the bladder tank being too low. They recharged it and since fixed the pressure. They also told me that the exterior faucets bypass the softener system - which makes sense.

Now I am left wondering how to clean out the rust from that tank - or if it is even necessary. He said the system was living on borrowed time at this point.

Do I need to replace that? Is there a temporary fix I can do to fix it?

chapman-01.jpg
chapman-02.jpg
chapman-03.jpg

Thank you so much for any help or insight you can provide!

-Barry

Reach4

Reaction score
Are you talking about the cartridge filter, or the pressure tank, or what?

Reach4

Reaction score
I think the cartridge filter?
The cartridge filter is that smaller thing with the clear housing, to the right of the big tank.

In the order of things, is the big tank first?

Does the valve with the LCD display have a brine line connection (line from the brine tank or other tank?)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks