Kinetico Sulfur Guard Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Garyucf1

Reaction score
I have been having an issue with my Kinetico Sulfur Guard system since shortly after it's installation over a year and half ago. I have tried to get this resolved with the dealer and his technicians check the equipment and report everything is functioning correctly. Contacting Kinetico directly results in being referred back to the dealer.

Here is the issue. Periodically we get the characteristic strong smell of sulfer from our water flowing from our faucets in the house. Most of the time the system seems to function properly and our water is odor free. But occasionally the smell is bad enough to make you gag! My observation is that this seems to occur when the Sulfur Guard unit is in it's regeneration process. We have a dual unit system so that when one unit is being regenerated or flushed clean the other unit is supposed to take over and provide sulpher free water. It seems that somehow raw unfiltered water is entering our plumbing during this process. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Garyucf1

Reaction score
What regenerate are you using? Chlorine (bleach) or hydrogen peroxide. If you are using hydrogen peroxide, what percent solution is it.

Do you know the ppm of sulfur that was tested? What number disk is on the top of the valve?

What size plumbing goes into the unit? 3/4", 1"? Do you have a softener ahead of the unit?

You should not be getting 'raw, unfiltered' water through the unit. There may be a simple solution.

Sulfur is a very mercurial water problem. There are times when only traces come from the well and other times when the concentration is quite high and may exceed the set up of your system. Outside conditions can alter the concentration of sulfur from the well.

Some adjustments can be made?

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Andy,

Thank You for your reply.

We are using Hydrogen Peroxide (35%) which we dilute 4 to 1 as per the Dealer's instruction. Occasionally we dilute 3 to 1 also per dealer instructions.

I don't know the ppm of sulfur that was tested. I believe it was quite high, I know the water is very hard. The well is several hundred feet deep and it is an artesian well. The disk is a number 4 on the sulfer guard and a number 8 on the softener.

The pipe is 1 inch and there is a Kinetico dual unit softener ahead of the sulpher guard.

Any suggestions?

Gary

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I have been having an issue with my Kinetico Sulfur Guard system since shortly after it's installation over a year and half ago. I have tried to get this resolved with the dealer and his technicians check the equipment and report everything is functioning correctly. Contacting Kinetico directly results in being referred back to the dealer.

My observation is that this seems to occur when the Sulfur Guard unit is in it's regeneration process. We have a dual unit system so that when one unit is being regenerated or flushed clean the other unit is supposed to take over and provide sulpher free water. It seems that somehow raw unfiltered water is entering our plumbing during this process. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I think you are right on and the problem is that when one tank is in backwash, your water use gpm is exceeding the SFR (service flow rating) gpm of the volume of mineral in the tank. That allows the H2S right through it. When you use less gpm that the SFR gpm, the mineral removes the odor. That means the unit is undersized. Andy mentions you needing the next larger sized tanks but I think he means for the softener due to the #8 disc. If that's the case, all your equipment is undersized.

I find a lot of Kinetico equipment is undersized. And in my opinion, all of it is overpriced.

tify_12

Reaction score
We have been having the same issue as you since the purchase of this same system in 2007. Have you found a solution?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks