Kinetico softener massively leaking resin despite new tanks

Users who are viewing this thread

pdq

Reaction score
We have a 25 year old Kinetico dual tank softener which worked well up until last winter (yay Kinetico). Last winter the water got an odor and a color, and I brought a sample into the local dealer that sold us the softener. Options were to rebed or replace. Since "replace" is $thousands, I had it rebedded for ~$700.

The next day, the cold water (but not hot water) flow at a couple of faucets was way down, so I called the guy and he said probably a problem with our well - just a coincidence. And I discovered that grit (that I could feel but not see so well) was clogging the screens at these faucets. So I replaced the sand filter of the well, but trapped very little sand and the problem continued to reoccur in the months since. Last week I was cleaning the filter at the kitchen sink (for the 5th or 6th time), and I flushed the lines and a bunch of obvious resin came out.

Took the water+resin back to the dealer, and they responded with some alarm and had a guy out the same day to replace the resin tanks with new tanks for no additional charge (yay!) and he flushed the system for 15 minutes. But it didn't solve the problem- the next day more resin, more clogging. I bypassed the softener for about a week and no resin, no clogging. Today I put the softener back in the line and the first faucet puts out _massive_ amounts of resin (ten seconds of flow = ounce or two of resin in the bottom of the bucket).

The local dealer said before if that didn't fix the problem, we should put in a new softener. But I'm slightly skeptical - how hard is it to keep resin in (new) tanks instead of massively leaking into the output water line? Could a problem in the _rest_ of the softener result in pumping large amounts of resin into the output line? Do I really need to replace the whole softener?Haven't talked to the dealer again yet.

Advice?

Reach4

Reaction score
Does this occur even if there was no regen?

Sounds like a bad bottom basket, or they used fine mesh resin without a matching bottom basket.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Resin discharge into the home plumbing typically signifies a broken bottom distributor basket or damaged riser tube. These are easy parts to inspect and replace and should have been the first items suspected by a knowledgeable technician.

As you specify only the resin tanks were replaced, this implies they re-utilized the new resin, risers and distributors from the original tanks. In doing so, the risers and distributors should have been inspected before being transferred into the new tanks.

pdq

Reaction score
Thanks- do you think I should try to get them to repair these (they've kind of had two tries at this), or am I just throwing good money after bad in a 25 year old softener? Should I ask Kinetico directly?

PS- the ~week or so I had the softener bypassed, I presume there was no regen, and when I put it back in line, I immediately checked the output at the first spigot, which is where the large amounts of resin were seen.

Bannerman

Reaction score
As Kinetico equipment is proprietary, repairs and parts are typically only available from a Kinetico dealer.

You have already obtained new resin and tanks. After the riser and/or distributor is replaced, the only remaining major component is the control valve. You didn't mention if the valve had been re-built (replacement of internal components most prone to wear).

Perhaps they are attempting to force you to buy a new system. If considering a new system, consider one that is non proprietary such as utilizing a Fleck or Clack control valve.

Last edited:

pdq

Reaction score
To my knowledge, the valve has not been rebuilt. But would that lead to a resin leak?

Also I wasn't home when they were here (the wife was), so I don't know if they replaced the riser and/or distributor. As far as we know, they just put in new resin tanks containing new resin.

Bannerman

Reaction score
would that lead to a resin leak?
The valve not being rebuilt would not lead to resin leakage. Both Reach and I specified the most common reasons for resin discharge into the plumbing. Rebuilding the valve was mentioned in regards to a low cost method to ensure reliable continued operation of the existing valve as you were questioning if to buy a new system.

You mentioned they replaced the resin tanks but didn't initially say anything further regarding the resin. The riser tube and distributor is situated down the centre of the tank so they are usually installed together before resin is added to the tank, which is why I suspect the resin, riser and distributor was transferred into the new tank. If the riser and distributor was also replaced, it would be unlikely for you to experience the same identical issues as before.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
resin loss into the plumbing...

plumbed in backwards
broken bottom screen or riser tube.

25 year old Kineticos.... you got your moneys worth, time to update.

pdq

Reaction score
Some f/u.

The Kinetico guy came back out today, confirmed the resin leak, and took the softener apart. There was a broken top basket (IIRC) on the main resin tank (which they didn't see before?) and that resin tank was roughly half empty now. (!) He suggested several options:

1) replace the top basket (didn't say how much $)
2) buy a new system (it's 25 years old, as is the head unit) After giving us credit for the $700 we'd already spent, and another $200 off for our trouble, the installed price for a new Kinetico was down to....$4200.

Yikes!

Understand, this is just a two-tank, non-electric softener only. No R/O, giant capacity, iron removal or anything like that.

So, we are tentatively settled on option #3: rebuild head unit, which he said could probably use it after 24 years, replacing anything that looks worn, and reassemble with new tanks, new resin, new baskets. I said I thought that covered most of the guts of the softener, and he agreed. Still not cheap - around $900, on top of the $700 for the new resin and tanks that we already spent. Yes, I know that for $1600 I could get a pretty good new non-Kinetico softener, but the $700 is sunk money, and we've gotten 24 years (well, 23 and a half years) of good service from the Kinetico, so I think we'll stick with it.

Reach4

Reaction score
A new softener would probably be better than the repair. I understand that you feel invested at this point. $900 would go a very long way to a nice new softener if you and a helper did the install. For $900 repair you are not guaranteed to get a working softner, are you?

I have a hard time thinking that a bad top basket would cause these symptoms.

Also, the top basket would have been removed and replaced in the process of swapping resin. Either the guy did not inspect, or more likely caused the damage.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks