Kinetico 2060 iron filter cleaning - gear alignment???

Users who are viewing this thread

signal15

Reaction score
I have a 2060 iron filter. I noticed over the last month or two that my water pressure was getting VERY low sometimes. Normally, you can flush a toilet when the shower is running, and no one notices. Well, it got to the point where it would scald you with hot water, and then it got to the point where if you turned on water downstairs, the upstairs got NO water at all. I noticed the window in my iron filter was black. I took it out and cleaned it so I could see where the black dot was. I noticed that when on backwash mode on one side, it would stop backwashing a couple of minutes into it. One of the sides wasn't backwashing properly and since I don't have a sediment filter, it was clogged up.

Tonight, I took apart all of the layers, soaked them in CLR, scrubbed them clean with a brush, and used tiny brushes to clean out all of the holes. Most of it was caked with mud/clay (I've attached a photo of the bottom layer to show how much crap was in it). It hasn't been this clean since new. I used something called Super Lube on the O-rings and pistons inside, which is a waterproof NSF-rated lubricant with PTFE in it.

It seems to be working just fine. However, I spun a bunch of gears by hand. Was I supposed to line up the two gears on top somehow before I reassembled it? I just want to make sure that it's "not out of alignment" or assembled wrong. Like I said, it's working. I ran through 2 backwash cycles, and the third is going now.

IMG_20160229_221238.jpg

signal15

Reaction score
It seems to still be working fine now. I'm assuming there was no need to align any gears, or I got lucky and things were rotate correctly when I slapped it back together.

signal15

Reaction score
To clarify, I mean the gears visible on the top. I did not disassemble the gears underneath Layer 1. I also noticed that the pawl on the left attaches to a cam which makes it rock slowly as the turbine spins. Did this need to be aligned at all? Or will all of this "self-align" after running through one backwash cycle?

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
The pawls do not have any kind of timing. I have seen the placed in wrong. There is an exploded view parts on watersoftenersuperstore website.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks