Kids bent the tub spout-unless you ask them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Duke9

Reaction score
kids bent the tub spout away from the wall leaving about a 1/4+ inch gap at the top. Of course if you ask them they have no idea how it happened. I bought a spring pipe bender and am thinking I will place a small block of wood between the inside wall and the pipe hanging down from above to support it while I try to bend it back up a few degrees to 90. Am I an idiot to think this will work? Will I likely cause more harm vs calling in a professional? Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• 7DC710FF-028C-4480-BC4A-477D58F05DB9.jpeg
    7DC710FF-028C-4480-BC4A-477D58F05DB9.jpeg
    40 KB · Views: 422

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The solder joint may be broken. Bending it back may make it leak.... or leak more

He could use a Sharkbite push-on cap, and then shine a light in there to check for a leak.
I find that if I'm using 95/5 or no lead solder the joints are very strong. Back in the 70's with the 50/50 solder that those joints could be easily broken.

Duke9

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. The house was built in 2015 or 16 if that says anything about the solder. If I follow, plugging the spout would switch the water to come through the shower to see if when the tub spout was bent it made the joint up top leak? I had figured the water that made a stain on the ceiling below was from water coming through the gap made from the tub spout pulling away from the wall.

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not a plumber. I would probablynot use a spring bender although that might be OK. If there is space above the pipe, I would instead put a 3/4 pipe section over the bent pipe and use that as a tool to bend upward.

A gap from the tub spout pulling away from the wall should not make a ceiling stain below. More likely the stain would be from tubs sloshing or the shower curtain not being inside of the tub.

Duke9

Reaction score
Interesting. The 7 year old was filling up the tub to the overflow drain during the time this all happened. So maybe the bending of the tub spout was just coincidental?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Fill the tub, splash water against it. If you have access to behind that wall, look carefully. It's hard to tell without being able to see. An inspection camera and a small hole might work if you have one or can borrow or buy one.

Duke9

Reaction score
3D494E10-7398-4866-985C-CC6D7D6CC27F.jpeg
9C0D37F6-451D-4C9D-8CA9-616D8C804752.jpeg

I can cut out an access panel in a closet in the hall that the tub backs up to. If I can isolate the problem, when I’m putting the tub spout back on, do I need anything like putty or anything in or around the spout (in photo) or 1/2 inch copper supply pipe to keep it from leaking? Should I sand or emery cloth around the copper to clean it up before connecting them back together?

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
View attachment 48957 View attachment 48958 I can cut out an access panel in a closet in the hall that the tub backs up to. If I can isolate the problem, when I’m putting the tub spout back on, do I need anything like putty or anything in or around the spout (in photo) or 1/2 inch copper supply pipe to keep it from leaking? Should I sand or emery cloth around the copper to clean it up before connecting them back together?
I always fill the hole with silicone before putting the spout on

Jadnashua

Reaction score
To ensure the O-ring seals, you want the outside of the pipe to be smooth. If you have a torch, heat it up and wipe it with a cloth (not a synthetic one that can melt), then, polish it off with some emery cloth or steel wool. You might find adding a bit of silicon plumber's grease to the inside of the O-ring makes sliding it on easier and less likely to damage or displace it. Also, make sure that the end of the pipe doesn't have any burrs on it, which can damage the O-ring as well.

Duke9

Reaction score
To ensure the O-ring seals, you want the outside of the pipe to be smooth. If you have a torch, heat it up and wipe it with a cloth (not a synthetic one that can melt), then, polish it off with some emery cloth or steel wool. You might find adding a bit of silicon plumber's grease to the inside of the O-ring makes sliding it on easier and less likely to damage or displace it. Also, make sure that the end of the pipe doesn't have any burrs on it, which can damage the O-ring as well.
Ok, thanks. I got the spout back up 90 vertical wise but now it’s off a few horizontally. See pic. Is it time to call a plumber? Whatever silicone I use on the spout won’t hold it tight to the tub enclosure I’m assuming.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 369

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Silicon could fill a gap, but no, it won't 'hold' it tight to the surround.

I'd be tempted to stick a dowel in there and tweak it slightly. But, if you can't view it from the rear, you could kink or break something. A properly sized dowel would help prevent you from getting a kink. Not exactly industry standard practice, and might not work, and as I said, could cause other problems, but I might consider trying...it's one of those things where you'd have to be there to know for sure.

Duke9

Reaction score
Yeah, I tried the dowel but it snapped just beyond the lip of the pipe. I heated up the pipe before hand too.

Assuming bending it back isn’t the solution, what’s a plumber going to do, cut the pipe from the access panel and make a new elbow for the spout?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Yeah, I tried the dowel but it snapped just beyond the lip of the pipe. I heated up the pipe before hand too.

Assuming bending it back isn’t the solution, what’s a plumber going to do, cut the pipe from the access panel and make a new elbow for the spout?
You might try a 1/2" drill bit...it won't snap! The direction of the grain on a dowel can make a difference, too (think of a bat).

But, yes, a plumber would probably either remove the fitting and install a new one, or if possible, maybe heat it up to melt solder, and move it where it needs to be.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks