Kenmore water softener

Users who are viewing this thread

Copyman

Reaction score
Hi, New to forum. As you can tell from my name my expertise is in copier / printer repair. Feel free to contact me if I can return favor and help in that area.

Had a question on a Kenmore water softener. Unit is around 7 years old and has been working great until recently when I noticed the water wasn't draining and even overflowed from drain on side at one point. After Google search I tried everything suggested on different websites, cleaning venturi, checking drain hose, brine valve assy, salt bridge, etc. Nothing worked so went ahead and replaced the complete venturi & rotor-disc kit / seals with new genuine parts. Cam goes through all the cycles fine, adds water to salt level but water does not drain brine water.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Guavazo

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue. I also replaced the Venturi, the flow tube assembly, and have the roto-disk kit coming next as my last attempt.

one thing i was checking is that if you lock the system in the BR cycle where the system suppose to suck in the bring from the salt tank, you can pull the flow tube, and check if if the venturi is having vacuum effect at all. 1:50 mark on this video

in my case there is no vacuum effect so if the rotor and disc kit doesn't fix it, I think I'll have to replace the whole system

Copyman

Reaction score
Hi,

After the rotor & disc didn't fix mine I bought a new system. New unit drained most of the water but still about 8-12" was in bottom. I called Kenmore support and they suggested removing the tiny washer from the red disc (it has the post sticking up if different color) inside venturi. This allows more suction. The reason he told me this should work is my drain hose goes up from softener across basement rafters around 25 feet into kitchen drain pipe. It seems to be draining correctly now.

Old

Reaction score
A lot of times what will happen is that tiny rubber washer will swell up and the hole in the middle will close or become restricted. This will prevent the unit from drawing brine.

Copyman

Reaction score
A lot of times what will happen is that tiny rubber washer will swell up and the hole in the middle will close or become restricted. This will prevent the unit from drawing brine.
Good to know. This was on a brand new softener and why Kenmore tech said to remove. Thanks

Guavazo

Reaction score
Hi,

After the rotor & disc didn't fix mine I bought a new system. New unit drained most of the water but still about 8-12" was in bottom. I called Kenmore support and they suggested removing the tiny washer from the red disc (it has the post sticking up if different color) inside venturi. This allows more suction. The reason he told me this should work is my drain hose goes up from softener across basement rafters around 25 feet into kitchen drain pipe. It seems to be draining correctly now.
This seem to be working for me!! thank you so much!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks