Kenmore water softener 3835001 not regenrating properly

Users who are viewing this thread

Elliot

Reaction score
It was purchased in 2016. When I put it on automatic regeneration, the time is only 42 minutes and it does not use any salt. When I do manual regeneration it goes for 90 minutes and uses salt. The water level is even with the salt when regenerating, that normal? I have had the control panel changed twice in the last two months. The timer works fine. Three service repair men looked at it and they say it works fine. I had it on default for 5 years and it worked good and stopped in April 2021. Manual regeneration will give me salt. Not sure where to go or what to do. Help!

Elliot

Reaction score
It was purchased in 2016. When I put it on automatic regeneration, the time is only 42 minutes and it does not use any salt. When I do manual regeneration it goes for 90 minutes and uses salt. The water level is even with the salt when regenerating, that normal? I have had the control panel changed twice in the last two months. The timer works fine. Three service repair men looked at it and they say it works fine. I had it on default for 5 years and it worked good and stopped in April 2021. Manual regeneration will give me salt. Not sure where to go or what to do. Help!

Last edited:

Elliot

Reaction score
When I manually regenerate it "now" it goes through 111 minutes and water fills to the top of the salt, I keep the level at 3. Is that normal for it to come that high? When I put it on a timed regeneration, nothing happens. It runs for 42 minutes and no salt is used. I really need help! My timer control has been changed twice in the last 3 months. I am not a handyman, I am just a female homeowner who needs some help. I have had 3 different repairman out here and they have no answers, except "the water should not come that high" and "it won't use salt if it does not need it when regenerating" and "quit worrying about it, it works fine."

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
2016, basically end of life for this type of unit. Some may get lucky and last 10-20 years, many last a few. These are considered by most as a disposable unit.

Elliot

Reaction score
2016, basically end of life for this type of unit. Some may get lucky and last 10-20 years, many last a few. These are considered by most as a disposable unit.
Thank you for replying. I was really hoping to get another year out of it. I guess I will just do a manual regeneration for now and buy a new one very soon.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks