Kenmore softener help

Users who are viewing this thread

win

Reaction score
Hi, Ive been struggling with my softener.
I have a Kenmore model 625.388251 softener that I noticed water to the top of the salt storage tank. I read about cleaning the venturi and screens and also cleaned the valve and float assembly at the bottom of the brine well, I performed all of those steps and all seemed to be working as should. I siphoned out the water and
the next morning I checked the salt tank and the water was above the salt again about level 5, funny because it did not regenerate. So I had the idea to take the float assembly out of the well and put it in a bucket just outside the storage tank( there was ample tubing to do this) to see if the water was actually coming from the venturi valve. The next morning I checked and the water level was all the way to the top of the storage tank, nothing in my bucket!
So do you think I have a leak in the resin tank or a bad seal at the top of the resin tank and head assembly?
Thanks for any help!

Oldyellr

Reaction score
I just replaced a Kenmore water softener I'd had for over 20 years. At one point I had cleaned and replaced the nozzle and venturi and just inside the 10-year warranty period the brine tank ruptured and was replaced. A year or so ago the salt level display stopped working so I had to check it visually from time to time. No big deal. Then, a few weeks ago I noticed the dishwasher getting a lot of lime deposits and it didn't seem like the water softener was doing a whole lot when recharging. I saw water on top of the salt. At this point I decided further maintenance was a waste of time and ordered a new water softener due to its age and the resin was now 10myears old.. I've also seen posts claiming a water softener is good for 30 years, but I thought tis one didn't owe me anything anymore.

My thoughts are that if yours is not that old you should service the nozzle and venturi as per your owner's manual. If it's more than 20 years old, maybe replace it.

blaze4545

Reaction score
The internal rotary valve plate could not be seated properly or stuck in between cycles and in your case partially stuck in a fill cycle
Leak in the brine float line or small crack in the tank itself.

I agree with oldyelly, these units are throw aways. Find a local dealer and ask for a budget softener or be put on a list for a refurb system.

Oldyellr

Reaction score
When you can buy water softeners that do the job for around $500 they're not "throwaway", especially if they have 5 or 10 year warranties. I got a good 20 years out of one and only replaced it because of its age and being too lazy to fix it.

Supr

Reaction score
when you have a softener for that long is there a time when you have to replace the media? they seem like very simple machines, only real part that can be damaged is the control.

win

Reaction score
Thanks guys the unit is about 18 years old, I guess time for a new one

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks