Kenmore disposal problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Whiznot

Reaction score
My disposal model 175 60505 is not working. Please help if you can.

For a few weeks the disposal had been making a louder-than-usual noise after a spoon was accidentally left in it. The unit never got clogged or stuck and continued to function. Yesterday when I tried to run it the unit made a sound but failed to spin. I used a 1/4 inch allen wrench and was able to move the flywheel back and forth. After using the allen wrench, the unit worked for a few seconds and I switched it off. When I switched the unit on again it failed to work but made a sound. I again used the allen wrench and found that the flywheel would turn freely but the unit would only hum when turned on.

Is it likely that my disposal is kaput or is there anything else that I should try? Thanks.

Jm66208

Reaction score
Don't hear too many success stories about disposer repair. Pretty much a "disposerable" item. :rolleyes: Spoon could have bent something causing the unit to seize.
For a replacement, I like the insinkerator compact pro from a plumbing supply house (now the pro 750) . Lowes & HD carry them now, but I hear rumors that the supply house units are better. :rolleyes:
Better warranty from the supply house units anyway. YMMV

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The warranty is by ISE, so if you have the same model the warranty will be the same, although it may be academic, since I have never had any ISE disposer fail or need "warranty work" while it was under warranty. There may be a "serviceable" reason why your disposer is not working properly, but I would have to be there to test it. The "grinder plate" rotating is not always an indication that it is not struck or jammed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks