Kenmore 420 series water softener motor not spinning

Users who are viewing this thread

bugeyedearl

Reaction score
Recently my Kenmore 420 series water softener gave an Err1 error. Searching the internet described it as either a switch or motor problem, so i took it a part and tested both the switch and the motor. by hooking the motor to a 24vdc and it spin so the motor looks good, I tested the switch using a meter with continuity and manually turning on/off the switch and it seems to be working fine as well as verifying the switch functioning correctly in the diagnostic screen where the icon changes when i flick the switch.

I thought it might also a bad capacitor on the control board so I've replace both capacitor with identical rating and it didn't help. Can someone point me in the direction to what else i can check or test? It could very well be the control board but i hate replacing component without really knowing that it's the problem.

Basically, in the past when i press start regeneration i would hear the motor or something spin for a few seconds (I'm assuming the motor spin to activate the switch) but now when I start regeneration the menu/led go through the motion with no motor activating and does its thing but nothing happen just the count down stuff and eventually error Err1 code.

TIA

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
I assume when you tested the motor, it was removed and so wasn't under load. Perhaps the valve mechanism it drives is seized or otherwise too difficult to move and may be overwhelming the motor?

When you activate the motor through the control board, are you able to determine if voltage is actually supplied to the motor? It is not uncommon for circuit boards on cabinet style softeners (all in-one units with the resin tank placed inside the brine tank) to fail as moisture and salt dust from the brine tank below, is more likely to enter the electronics and cause corrosion. Perhaps the circuit board will need to be replaced?

In this forum, that brand is not respected as a quality unit and is generally considered as not worthwhile hiring a technician when problems start to occur. Because you are planning to perform repairs yourself, it maybe worthwhile to obtain the needed parts, but depending on its age, this could be the beginning of further issues so you will need to decide how much effort you will accept before cutting your losses and replace it.

bugeyedearl

Reaction score
Thanks for responding. Currently the whole unit taken a part and sitting on my test bench for diagnostic so there is no load or anything overwhelming the motor (control unit, motor, switch).

During my testing I could really never got a reliable voltage reading out of the motor contact on the circuit board with my voltage meter so I'm not sure if the board is providing power to the motor to start which was why i went down the road of replacing the two capacitor, really the only thing that's replaceable on the board.

As you mentioned, I'm at a crossroad as to replace the water softener or replace the parts. At $250 for the controller which I'm uncertain is %100 the caused but probably is I'm just not sure i want to make the move to replace without a %100 sure.

Bannerman

Reaction score
How old is the unit?

Is your water source from municipal or a private well?

Constant chlorine exposure will shorten the lifespan of the resin. Depending on the age, if your water source is municipal, the resin may soon require replacement.

When resin becomes damaged by chlorine, it will typically swell and become mushy within the tank. The problem will become evident by a sudden flow restriction through the softener which is corrected when the softener is bypassed. The restriction will often result in noticable low pressure and flow while showering, and complete loss of flow to upper level faucets while a lower level faucet is in use.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
I take out Kenmore units every week..... got one to do on Monday.....
They are basically a throw away unit after about 6 years more or less...

In our city the chlorine kills the crappy mineral bed in those cheaper units
in 6 years or less.....

I ought to start saving the motors and parts and put them on e-bay
for guys like you to buy and hopefully bring that piece of junk back to life with...

if the unit is over 10 years old, I suggest you shit-can it and buy a clack unit

bugeyedearl

Reaction score
Bannerman / Mark

The unit is over 10 years old and i'm convince it's time for a replacement.

I was eyeing the Aquaresure unit https://www.homedepot.com/p/AQUASUR...tal-Metered-Water-Softener-AS-HS48D/311245147 and was going to ask what you think of the brand but Mark threw out a term "clack unit" which i never heard of before. After googling i'm still unsure if it's a whole unit Clack sell or just the valve as every link I hit seems to sell just the parts related to a Clack system.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Bannerman / Mark

The unit is over 10 years old and i'm convince it's time for a replacement.

I was eyeing the Aquaresure unit https://www.homedepot.com/p/AQUASUR...tal-Metered-Water-Softener-AS-HS48D/311245147 and was going to ask what you think of the brand but Mark threw out a term "clack unit" which i never heard of before. After googling i'm still unsure if it's a whole unit Clack sell or just the valve as every link I hit seems to sell just the parts related to a Clack system.

That is a peice of junk because the control is probably impossible to get part for to repair.....
most hardware store stuff is junk for many reasons... You need to be sure you are getting the #10
resin bed in the unit or the cholorine will kill it off fast....

just ask around for someone who will sell you the clack unit if you must install it yourself
their are guys on here who will ship it to you ..... look for dittohead on this site and he will
ship the unit to you for somewhere around 700

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks