Keeping DHW on, but Radiators off - NAVIEN

Discussion in 'Tankless Water Heater Forum' started by theMezz, May 20, 2019.

1. theMezz

theMezz New Member

I have a Navien all in one,,,

I am starting in a bathroom and want to physically remove one water heat radiator for 2 weeks.

How do I shut down the unit, but LEAVE the Domestic hot Water ON

Is it ok, to just turn the heating water isolation valves to off, disconnect the radiator - disconnect the house thermostat - but leave the Navien ON so we have Domestic Hot Water?

Thanks!

2. DIYorBust

DIYorBust Member

Yes that should be fine if the plumbing is done the normal way. I'd pull the thermostat so you don't dead head your pump. Probably want to drain down the the system to below the radiator before you pull it.

theMezz likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

theMezz likes this.
  4. Dana

Dana In the trades

Your plan to disconnect the thermostat and isolate the loop with valves should work. Don't drain the system unless you absolutely have to. I believe the static pressure on the heating side of Navien combi boilers needs to be at least 12 psi for it to fire up at all. When you pull the radiator either cap off valve isolate the missing radiator section and check that the pressurize the heating system side is still running 12 psi (30 max, but 15 psi is enough for most residential systems) and add water if necessary.

theMezz likes this.
  5. DIYorBust

DIYorBust Member

Wouldn't the house water pressure/prv maintain pressure on the heating side?

theMezz likes this.
  6. theMezz

theMezz New Member

It seems to be