Keep UR 3.5 g Atlas or replace with Toto Drake?

Users who are viewing this thread

martha

Reaction score
I have a 15 year old UR 3.5 gal. Atlas (wash down) that has been an excellent flusher for 10 years- never owned a plunger. In the past 5 years, the toilet will overflow if I don't catch it. The problems started when the plumber switched the "innerds" from the ball on top to the straight post type. It could be coincidence. When the problem occurs, I snake it and the problem will go away for a few months. It appears to be related to mass size of no. 2. Years ago this did not seem to be a problem. If paper is but down the toilet, a problem will occur within a few days. I was raised on septic and don't put paper in the toilet even though I now have sewer. I used to have the tub gurgle all the time when the toilet was flushed, but a plumber put vents in the line. That took care of 90% of that problem. I had a plumber come and clean out the main house trap, auger the toilet and flush water through the sewer line- all was fine. I poured a 5 gal. bucket of water down the toilet and it went down. There was a gurgle in the tub after thats. As far as I know nothing has gone down the toilet, but you with young kids anthing can happen. I have not pulled the toilet yet.

I had a plumber tell me to keep the 3.5 gal Atlas because it will flush better than the newer 1.6 toilets. I had another tell me that my toilet has build up in the trap because it unglazed and the diameter has decreased. This is why is not accepting the mass load it used to. He said I needed a new toilet. I now the Atlas used to be rated a good flusher years ago, but with technology the bar is raised. Help! I don't know what to do. I would appreciate your help and advice.
Martha

RedHouse

Reaction score
Yes, the Atlas is one of my favorite sounding and flushing toilets. But if you continue to have this problem, either pinch the clip down or turn the black knob left , because I do not know what kind of Fluidmaster you have. It could be oversiphoning. If you do this and continue to have the problem then I would suggest a plumber to look down the drain.

If you do this and continue to have this problem, then allow me to suggest a Toto Drake.

Please note I am not a pro and I may be wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks