Keeney Manufacturing Company 1/4 turn defective leaking ball valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I've got a 1/4 turn ball valve that's leaking. Looking at it, the shaft appears to be plastic and its dripping pretty good.

PXL_20211224_033827085.jpg

Going to the local ACE and checking Lowes online, they sell what looks like the same valve.
Is Keeney a generally good brand, or should I hold out for something higher quality?

I read a rumor that Keeney built but did not recall a metric buttload of bad valves a few years back. Does anyone have an authoritative story?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm not aware of a fix for that. Replacement works though. What kind of pipe is coming from the wall?
If it's copper, a new compression shutoff is a good idea. Either a sleeve puller to remove the back nut, or there may be room to cut and install the new shutoff.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cheap junk if it leaks throw it away. If you have one that doesn't leak don't worry about it but I don't like those

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Keeney is a retail store brand. Typically all 1/4 turn angle stops from retail stores have plastic balls. For a short time that was what we got at our supply stores as a lead free option, but now we have metallic, likely stainless balls.

Norcal01

Reaction score
The Brass Craft angle stops sold at HD are of much better quality, and at a competitive price, had issue with a stop failing quickly because of the water temp in a commercial kitchen (160°F), the Brass Craft valve has held up for years, have found that Keeney products quality is not very high, & the extra hassle of replacing garbage is not worth it. "Buy well, buy once".

To anyone wondering why such a high water temp, a commercial low temp dish machine requires a minimum of 120°F water to be compliant, in order for the dishes to be cleaned & sanitized even with the chemicals, staff cannot use towels to dry the dishes as regs require them to be air dried, to keep the temp at around 140°F so they dry quickly that temp is required to stay compliant and takes about 2 minuets for each load to wash.

A commercial "low temp" dishmachine requires 120° water & uses chemicals to sanitize the dishes, a "high temp" machine requires 180°F water & has a booster to raise the water temp, the hotter water is more likely to cause scalding, so the low temp machines are preferred.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks