Katalox Stopped Working After 2 Weeks

Users who are viewing this thread

keefe007

Reaction score
Hello!

I have well water in Southeastern Wisconsin. I was having issues with water (both cold and hot) smelling like rotten eggs. I do also see orange staining in the back of the toilets so I think I have low level iron bacteria.

After speaking with discount water systems they recommended the Katalox system. I purchased this model and installed it before my water softener: http://www.discountwatersofteners.c...ackwashing-katalox-filter-1-5-cubic-foot.html

It immediately fixed the iron taste and rotten egg smell. Then after two weeks the smell came right back. The system is set to regenerate every 3 days and I know that it is regenerating as it should.

How can I find this?

Reach4

Reaction score
I see they don't provide an oxidization provision, but in that URL they mention using oxidation for higher levels of iron. I would think this could benefit from a bleach solution from a solution being rinsed in during regeneration. My system that uses Centaur Carbon media has a solution tank that provides a bleach solution during regeneration. You might ask them about whether you would benefit from a solution tank.

For now, maybe you want to decrease the regen period to 2 days.

I suggest sanitizing your well and plumbing. Remember to include the water heater, but go easy on the softener. The first line of https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/ has a link to a nice sanitizing article, but then I go into my possibly-overkill extension.

Last edited:

keefe007

Reaction score
I'm having trouble getting support from discountwatersofters which is why I posted here. I've called them 10-15 times and no one has ever answered the tech support line.

I put in a web request and all the said back was that the Katalox system doesn't work with iron bacteria because the media gets clogged--despite the salesperson saying it works with iron bacteria.

It does look like the value supports a chlorine draw because this unit using the same valve: http://www.discountwatersofteners.com/the-eliminator-genesis-1-5-cubic-foot.html

keefe007

Reaction score
I have sanitized my well but the smell comes back after a few weeks, thats why I bought the Katalox system.

Reach4

Reaction score
I have sanitized my well but the smell comes back after a few weeks, thats why I bought the Katalox system.
Dumping a gallon of bleach down the casing is usually not sufficient. For example, that does not get the part below the pump, and it does not get the water heater.

keefe007

Reaction score
I have done it with both the bleach / vinegar method and also the chlorine pellet method.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Reading your post I see no surprises here. I would recommend sending the system back since they are unable to assist you.

If you have iron bacteria then contact and precipitation time is critical. I would also recommend buying from a different company. A simple internally baffled contact tank (not a mini tank with a secret swirl chamber...) and oxidant injection, automated blowdown, and some on site testing and set-up should get you fixed right up. A Katalox light with a Fleck or Clack backwashing valve, not a Chinese knockoff, and you should be good to go.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks