Katalox question

Users who are viewing this thread

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score
1.5 CF 10x54. lower basket is this. upper basket is this. customer is complaining about (what looks like) katalox making it's way into the house.any thoughts

upload_2021-6-3_14-52-28.png
upload_2021-6-3_14-50-56.png

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score
Inlet and outlet connections reversed?

Is this the only treatment device?
the connections are correct. only thing other than a 20" sediment filter (75/25 mic) and a UV. He originally had H2S and iron sulfide (black) sediment. It appears to me the lower basket may be compromised. some background..underbedding to cover the lower basket, plus 1.5 CF (99 lb) katalox. I hit the tank on the floor to level the base a couple times. also I have a Ridgid air pump that you set and forget. it stopped at 37 lbs (so I thought). went back to check with my air gauge and the bladder was at 100 psi. it was like that for two days. I can't imagine if one of those scenarios compromised the lower basket. or if it may be the iron sulfide fines getting past the sediment filter. doesn't seem likely. here is an image.
I should also mention, I performed the test dittohead described last week. He only had sediment after the water sat in the pipes overnight and not after running for a few minutes.

Attachments

• 20210603_075029_20210603_075104.jpg
    20210603_075029_20210603_075104.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Katalox Light is fairly large in size, similar to filter-ag+, not usually this small but if you are losing media, it can only come out of the top or bottom of the tank, so if it is not coming from the plumbing, you may need to replace the lower screen and be sure to add adequate gravel.

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score
Katalox Light is fairly large in size, similar to filter-ag+, not usually this small but if you are losing media, it can only come out of the top or bottom of the tank, so if it is not coming from the plumbing, you may need to replace the lower screen and be sure to add adequate gravel.
thanks for the reply. I've decided to replace the KL with Centaur. when I get the tank back to the shop I'll check the lower basket and distributor tube. he has very little H2S. my thoughts with using the KL is it would take care of any sediment between 25 and 3 mic.

Charlie Bosco

Reaction score
the connections are correct. only thing other than a 20" sediment filter (75/25 mic) and a UV. He originally had H2S and iron sulfide (black) sediment. It appears to me the lower basket may be compromised. some background..underbedding to cover the lower basket, plus 1.5 CF (99 lb) katalox. I hit the tank on the floor to level the base a couple times. also I have a Ridgid air pump that you set and forget. it stopped at 37 lbs (so I thought). went back to check with my air gauge and the bladder was at 100 psi. it was like that for two days. I can't imagine if one of those scenarios compromised the lower basket. or if it may be the iron sulfide fines getting past the sediment filter. doesn't seem likely. here is an image.
I should also mention, I performed the test dittohead described last week. He only had sediment after the water sat in the pipes overnight and not after running for a few minutes.
I'm no expert but it look like it was not backwashed enough when it was installed. Looks more like fines from the initial KL install.

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score
Agreed, looks like inadequate start-up procedure.
I believe the startup was adequate other than only backwashing initially for 15 minutes as opposed to the recommended 60. The backwash water was clear however before put in service. After inspection the upper o-ring wasn't rolled. distributor tube to was intact. The bed, however, wasn't lifting even with 10gpm Flow restrictor. I'm still not sure if it was KL or the iron sulfide coming into the house that was making its way to the faucets, as i couldn't duplicate the problem. Anyway, I switched on the KL out for Centaur+ 5gpm BR and all is well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks