Katalox light "slippery" water and funny smell

Users who are viewing this thread

Malmen

Reaction score
I just got my BW filter installed with katalox light media to get rid of iron and bad smell. It works very well but I get a slippery feeling when showering/washing my hands and it feels like the soap wont go off. This can happen with water softeners but katalox would rather raise both PH and hardness right? So what causes this? I sometimes get a small amount of white residue on glass after water has dried if that indicates anything. Also a hint of some funky smell and taste but that is no major problem and I'll bet it will get better with time? I've had this filter installed about 2 weeks now. Will everything get better with time? I also have some problems with lots of air sputtering from the taps but that got a bit better when lowering brine time. Also gets better with time perhaps?

Reach4

Reaction score
high pH can give a slippery feeling. You might get a cheap electronic pH meter to measure what you have. Those are sold with little calibration packets that you mix with 250 ml of distilled water. You use the solution to calibrate the cheap pH meter each time. You also put calibration solution into the cap, and store cap-down.

Regarding softeners, people used to hard water say they have a hard time getting the soap off. I am now used to soft water, and hard water makes me feel I cannot get the dirt off.

Regarding the funky smell (H2S?) I don't know. Have you sanitized your well and plumbing? https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/ is my writeup.

Malmen

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I have seen those cheap meters but didnt think they did the trick. And test strips is hard to tell the differens in color I think. Might try a meter then. Any recommendations? No the smell is not H2S. I had H2S before the filter and now its gone. This is some kind of strange chemical smell that I call the Katalox smell . Might be some old stuff left in the pipes and nothing to do with Katalox. I will look into that sanatizing link. I know the pipes has some clay like stuff in them from the old well I used before I got the new deep well. Thank you

Bannerman

Reaction score
Suggest performing an extended backwash by advancing the controller to Backwash and then remove the electrical plug so the unit will continue back washing until power is restored. Katalox Light will often cause high pH initially, and there will often be odors, taste and off colors when the media is first installed. You may need to Backwash the media for 45-60 minutes continuous to determine if the issues may be reduced or eliminated.

also have some problems with lots of air sputtering from the taps but that got a bit better when lowering brine time.
You didn't specify the control valve brand or model. If unsure, post a low res photo.

You mention 'Brine time'. A back washing filter will normally utilize only two cycles, Backwash and Rapid Rinse. If your unit utilizes a Brine setting, then I expect it is an AIO system (Air Injection Oxidation) that is utilizing air to oxidize the iron and sulfur, causing them to change state so the KL media can then filter out the resulting solids. If so, air will be drawn in during each Brine cycle which will become compressed as a bubble at the top of the tank when the system is pressurized while it is supplying filtered water to your home's fixtures.

Air sputtering is a common issue with AIO systems. See: https://terrylove.com/forums/index....ses-sputtering-from-faucet.87549/#post-635949

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I have seen those cheap meters but didnt think they did the trick. And test strips is hard to tell the differens in color I think. Might try a meter then. Any recommendations?
I bought a cheap one yellow with a black cap one . I think a lot of sellers offer the same thing.
I put my calibration solution into a jar with a screw lid. Keep one or two for that purpose. Put distilled water on your shopping list if you don't already have it. It is nice for rinsing things, such as eyeglasses, that you want to dry spot-free.

Malmen

Reaction score
Suggest performing an extended backwash by advancing the controller to Backwash and then remove the electrical plug so the unit will continue back washing until power is restored. Katalox Light will often cause high pH initially, and there will often be odors, taste and off colors when the media is first installed. You may need to Backwash the media for 45-60 minutes continuous to determine if the issues may be reduced or eliminated.

You didn't specify the control valve brand or model. If unsure, post a low res photo.

You mention 'Brine time'. A back washing filter will normally utilize only two cycles, Backwash and Rapid Rinse. If your unit utilizes a Brine setting, then I expect it is an AIO system (Air Injection Oxidation) that is utilizing air to oxidize the iron and sulfur, causing them to change state so the KL media can then filter out the resulting solids. If so, air will be drawn in during each Brine cycle which will become compressed as a bubble at the top of the tank when the system is pressurized while it is supplying filtered water to your home's fixtures.

Air sputtering is a common issue with AIO systems. See: https://terrylove.com/forums/index....ses-sputtering-from-faucet.87549/#post-635949
Settings are Backwash 10 min Brine 25 min (changed that to 15 min) Rinse 5 min. During Brine it sucks air through that white one way valve and makes the sound of an methanol RC engine. I got the sputtering acceptable by changing the brine time. Could these pressure pulses damage stuff like toilets? Sounds pretty dramatic sometimes inside the toilet.

I couldn't BW for 45 mins because I will run the bore hole dry. (pump at only 50 feet and level at about 9 feet) Well maybe I could do it in steps with some time between to catch up.

IMG_20220505_202038.jpg
IMG_20220505_202023.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks