Just notice some water around the anode rod nut.

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by mnalep, Jan 4, 2019.

1. mnalep

mnalep Member

This is interesting to know. And thanks for that detailed description.

Beyond a sale, I am also wondering if I rent this place out, and need to get a city inspection for a certificate of compliance, would the flexible stainless steel with sharkbites likely pass (or at least not be flagged as a safety issue)?

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

With a flex line, there is no need for a union.

The dielectric nipples came with the WH.

3. mnalep

mnalep Member

So, that fitting where my copper cold water line comes out of the shutoff is a brass fitting? Can you tell that from the picture, or are these threaded fittings that are soldered to copper pipe 'always' brass?

4. mnalep

mnalep Member

So, that fitting where my copper cold water line comes out of the shutoff is a brass fitting? Can you tell that from the picture, or are these threaded fittings that are soldered to copper pipe 'always' brass?

5. mnalep

mnalep Member

Oh! So I might be 'within code' using the flexible lines, since the exiting pipes right now is galvanized and copper. (no plastic). But then again, I might not, depending on the local codes? Do local codes override national codes? Seems like they should be online somewhere. (But then do I look for city, county, state, or national codes?)

6. mnalep

mnalep Member

BTW. THANKS EVERYONE for offering your HELP!

7. phog

phog Member

Valve bodies are usually brass, guess I don't know for sure on that one but it sure looks like it. Scrape a little paint off with a razor blade if you want to make sure.

8. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Yes.

Michigan starts with the International Plumbing Code (IPC), which you can find on line. IPC is often more permissive than the UPC.

9. phog

phog Member

There are code forums on this same web site that might be helpful to you.

One generalization to be made is that code is what your local inspector says it is -- he/she is always right! Sometimes different inspectors in the same jurisdiction even have different ways they want to see things done. The best thing to do is usually just say yes to whatever they want and don't argue with them. Even if you think you're right. They can really stick it to you if you get on their bad side.

If you're trying to rent out the property you'd be better advised to talk to other local landlords than try to read code yourself on the internet. They can tell you what to expect regarding inspections & just how rigorous the inspectors are.

In my experience inspectors are above all looking to make sure things aren't done half ass. If you do half ass work, you can expect the inspector to come down hard on you almost guaranteed.

10. mnalep

mnalep Member

I misunderstood. You meant the water shutoff was brass. (I thought you meant the male fitting between the copper pipe and the water valve when I read your comment the first time!)

So brass is considered to be a dialectic between the cooper and the galvanize?

11. phog

phog Member

Yes that's right -- sorry for the confusion. A brass pipe nipple (or in this case brass valve body) works ok in place of a dielectric coupling to prevent corrosion.

Now your local code may or may not require a dielectric coupling anyway-- but that's a different story! ;)

12. mnalep

mnalep Member

I just found the page on this forum with the IPC, UPC, and NSPC - https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?forums/plumbing-code-questions.26/

How do I know the order of importance? If IPC is international, then are UPC (or NSPC) local? And which would one follow - local above national?

I think I just saw the answer - MICHIGAN uses IPC. Right?

13. mnalep

mnalep Member

So the inspector is like your 'boss' ;-) GOT IT!

Good idea to talk to other landlords too!

I just found this there - https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?forums/plumbing-code-questions.26/

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  14. mnalep

mnalep Member

So if it's brass, it will be a darker 'brassy' color? (Not silvery like galvanized)

I suppose that water shutoff could either be only brass, or galvanized?

I also just read that brass is not magnetic. Galvanized steel is. So, that would be another way to tell.

15. mnalep

mnalep Member

So I just found the IPC online: https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/IPC2018/chapter-5-water-heaters

But I can't find in Chapter 5 where it mentions the cold water supply line, or hot water pipe going out of the water heater? Or anything about flexible piping?

Not in chapter 6 either? https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/IPC2018/chapter-6-water-supply-and-distribution

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  16. phog

phog Member

Just scratch at it with a razor until you see shiny metal. Brass is yellow / gold colored. I've never seen a galvanized valve body (maybe some pros here have). I have seen one or two that are stainless steel. 99% of shutoffs are brass or chrome plated brass.

17. mnalep

mnalep Member

OK. Thanks!

18. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    If you're using flex lines, they will screw directly onto the nipple threads, but yes, if you're hard piping things, you'll need to solder a female socket on the pipe...just do that joint before you screw it onto the heat trap or you'll melt the plastic in it. You don't want to be soldering all that close to the heat trap.

phog likes this.
  19. mnalep

mnalep Member

When you say "before screwed onto the heat trap", do you mean "before screwed onto the dialectic nipples'?

20. mnalep

mnalep Member

You were right. I sanded the paint off that water shutoff, and it sure looks like brass to me. I did not realize that brass could act like a dialectic between a galvanized pipe and a copper pipe!

upload_2019-1-13_23-26-58.png