Just learned our basement oil tank is not-to-code, installed 2014

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Our Combi-boiler works but is ancient. A reputable guy came in to quote a replacement and he told me they won't touch it because the basement oil tank (installed 2014) is too close to where the new boiler would go AND that the tank's vent pipe is incorrectly done. So I'm stuck with no one willing to sell me a new boiler AND have a tank that should be replaced by the original company that's giving me a run-around, no one agreeing on who actually installed it since that company was absorbed by a bigger company. Here's a photo of the vent pipe which has a trap where it shouldn't have one at all. I think they showed up with a vertical tank and rather realizing the mistake, then bringing a correct flat horizontal tank, just installed it and walked. I'm gonna try resolve this by further talk but haven't a clue if that'll work. $2850 to switch it out on top of a new boiler installation. Money's tight but that boiler will fail soon enough. Doesn't seem I should pay for that mistake.

Attachments

• IMG_5268.jpg
    IMG_5268.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 166

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
If the vent pipe is wrong, how was the old tank vented? I think your only recourse is small claims court?

I can't help you here but this is just an example why just about any major work done in a home needs a permit. In Florida, AC is #1 appliance, as important as your heat. In Florida an AC contractor must pull a permit for all AC replacement work, if not serious fines can be levied. THere are a few rules when installing a new air handler and compressor. When you do replace your boiler, do insist on a permit and final payment will be after a pass inspection. If the contractor bucks, find someone else. Permits protect you, the homeowner.

Reach4

Reaction score
no one agreeing on who actually installed it since that company was absorbed by a bigger company.
The new company may have just bought the assets. Consider taking that aspect up with a lawyer, who may tell you it is not worth pursuing... or might tell you to go to small claims court. The person you bought from may have had insurance in effect at the time. The person you bought from may have gone bankrupt. It may be that the new company took on liabilities. I don't know how that works. You already notified the surviving company, allowing them to fix it. I assume you have also attempted to ask the old person to fix it.

The new contractor should make your system it right and get paid, but, with the advice of the lawyer, get a writen statement that the tank was improper, and that is why that tank replacement part of the work is needed. Or at least get the new invoice to say that the new oil tank replaces an improper installation. I think home improvement loans are fairly easy and to come by these days.

I am not a pro. I have never sued anybody, but I have watched People's Court. :D

Last edited:
Reaction score
If the vent pipe is wrong, how was the old tank vented? I think your only recourse is small claims court?

I can't help you here but this is just an example why just about any major work done in a home needs a permit. In Florida, AC is #1 appliance, as important as your heat. In Florida an AC contractor must pull a permit for all AC replacement work, if not serious fines can be levied. THere are a few rules when installing a new air handler and compressor. When you do replace your boiler, do insist on a permit and final payment will be after a pass inspection. If the contractor bucks, find someone else. Permits protect you, the homeowner.

Thanks, good call. In this case, there's no question in my mkind that although one company was merged the smaller into the other, but even independently, they each had a big share of the work here.

Reaction score
The new company may have just bought the assets. Consider taking that aspect up with a lawyer, who may tell you it is not worth pursuing... or might tell you to go to small claims court. The person you bought from may have had insurance in effect at the time. The person you bought from may have gone bankrupt. It may be that the new company took on liabilities. I don't know how that works. You already notified the surviving company, allowing them to fix it. I assume you have also attempted to ask the old person to fix it.

The new contractor should make your system it right and get paid, but, with the advice of the lawyer, get a writen statement that the tank was improper, and that is why that tank replacement part of the work is needed. Or at least get the new invoice to say that the new oil tank replaces an improper installation. I think home improvement loans are fairly easy and to come by these days.

I am not a pro. I have never sued anybody, but I have watched People's Court. :D
That's pretty funny....too bad the situations not. Anyway, I believe the companies merged, don't think it was a bankruptcy. Anyway, I'll forge on. One good thing (I hope) is that one of the guys I spoke to is on the inside, worked for both companies...he's trying to make a dent for me, find out what's what. Thanks.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Shalom Ken,

Either the old owner or towns building department has a record who did the installation.

You may have another option and that is lower the tank about 2 - 3 feet and have the "Pit" sealed at the bottom and sides as a precaution in case the tank ever leaks.

Ask your reputable contractor if they can install a 2" Street Ell coming out of the tank as it just may be enough to get rid of the "trap piping"

Reaction score
Shalom Ken,

Either the old owner or towns building department has a record who did the installation.

You may have another option and that is lower the tank about 2 - 3 feet and have the "Pit" sealed at the bottom and sides as a precaution in case the tank ever leaks.

Ask your reputable contractor if they can install a 2" Street Ell coming out of the tank as it just may be enough to get rid of the "trap piping"
Unfortunately, it's bedrock under the tank, so digging down, while possible, that's not going to happen. As for the town code, you may be right but I suspect this was done without a permit. An inspector has always showed up to check the work and I don't recall that happening in 2014 when it was installed. I'm still working on whichever company installed it, they'll make good on recifying it.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Unfortunately, it's bedrock under the tank, so digging down, while possible, that's not going to happen. As for the town code, you may be right but I suspect this was done without a permit. An inspector has always showed up to check the work and I don't recall that happening in 2014 when it was installed. I'm still working on whichever company installed it, they'll make good on recifying it.

Mazel Tov

Fitter30

Reaction score
The tightest 90* for 2" fitting is a cast cross 1 9 /16" center to end
2" close nipple 2" long . Makeup 3/4"
2 1/16" from welded bung to center

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks