Just checking on system replacement plan

Users who are viewing this thread

indy500

Reaction score
Hi, a lot of great info in this forum - thanks to all who contributed!

I am replacing a 22 year old system, a kinetico, and looking to use something that I can maintain rather than have to have someone else come out for it. Our system isn't regenerating anymore.

Anyway, we have city water that is pretty hard, but no iron or manganese. Hardness is 337 ppm, which I think corresponds to 20 GPG. Ph is 7.74. No bad smells, etc. We seem to use about 4500 gallons of water a month. And I'm assuming a 10 day regen cycle, but I'm not really sure what makes the most sense there. I see people select anything from 7 to 14 days. My pipes are 3/4 in copper

If I calculate correctly, I need (20 * 1.2) * (4500 / 30) * 10 = 36,000 grain. I'm looking at a "Fleck 7000SXT Meter Water Softener - 40,000 Grain Capacity". 7 days would drop me down to 25.2k, which means I could go with a 32000 grain system, but it seems the 40k tank is actually slightly shorter than the 32k and I'd like to do that.
Options that are available:
  • 10% resin (the place I'm looking at on line uses Resintech).
  • tank jacket (going ahead and getting this; it's in a basement)
  • turbolater (not planning on getting)
  • Distributor Tube (regular but they have a high flow available. planning on regular)
It seems that the 7000SXT is not available at the moment from the vendor I was looking at, but the 2510SXT and 5600SXT units are. Not sure if those are similar but my plans were to go with the 7000. Maybe I'll look for another company.

Anyway, am I missing anything? one question I had is whether gravel is needed in the tank. The site didn't really mention that.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
First off, the 7000 was discontinued many years ago. Second, avoid the online companies, most of these are desperately trying to be the low price leader... with little if any consideration on quality. Many use counterfeit or knock off components in their desperate need to be the lowest price. See if you can get a decent price from a local company. If not I can send you a PM of companies that I trust to not sell junk. Also, I would recommend considering adding a backwashing carbon filtration system as well. This will greatly extend the life of the resin as well as give you amazin water throughout the house.

indy500

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I've looked a bit locally, but they seem to either have an unknown brand or don't know what resin is actually in the unit. I'd be interested in your list.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks