just broke my toilet trying to fix it :( overflowing => breaking the water fill valve

Users who are viewing this thread

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Before you go the blow torch route, let's see if maybe you can just fix it by replacing the cap. If not, you can still try to replace the valve.

Look at my video above about replacing the R528 cap. No need to go buy one right now. You already have a new one in your 528MP (assuming that the valve in your toilet looks like the valve you just bought, at least generally -- it can have a different color (like blue) cap, and won't likely have the little adjuster, but if it looks the same, then you can try the swapping the cap method. On the video, you will see how to remove the cover, remove the float, unscrew the cap. You can do that on both valves and swap out the cap. Also try cleaning the strainer in the old valve, which pulls right out like shown in the video. When you reassemble, see if that solves your problem, and reset the old valve to the proper height (with the fill line about 3/4 inch below the top of the overflow riser). Don't worry, that's not a precision adjustment; if it's 1/2" it's fine.

If that fixes the problem, then we're all set, and you can put away the hammer, chisel and blowtorch for now. If not, then we'll have to come up with a plan B, and a photo of the toilet and the area you're talking about having problems with would be helpful.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Maybe I missed it, but I never did see which model of toilet this is, and, a picture of the recess might help.

Can you turn the valve at all from inside the tank? If you can, all you may have to do is to hold the nut on the bottom with something, and turn the valve rather than turning the nut.

As Terry said awhile ago, you may need to remove the tank, and then, you'd have various options on how to hold things so you can remove that nut. If the tank was installed the optimum way (with washer and nut on the bottom of the tank), you won't disrupt the seal there at all, and it would be a couple of minutes to spin the bottom nuts off and remove it. Once off, it's easier to work on.

obama

Reaction score
ah should have read this sooner.

here's an update. got a triangular small hacksaw from a friend to work in the clearance. sawing away at the white plastic washer currently (takes a fkn long time!!) hopefully done tmrw.

he also said if i just break the fill valve at its neck (thinnest point) i might be able to break the thing holding it from falling, and itll fall without need of messing with the underneath nut. broke it, and saw the hole! but the remains of the fill valve (the circular washer-like thing, flange?) is there and i dont know how to get it off. theres also like a rubber seal around it, not sure if i want to dmg that.

either way my only option after the crap i did is to hacksaw away and just replace. should have checked here sooner before buying the new one though, a top replacement prob would have worked :mad:

also i removed my toilet seat cover (bidet) but the cistern/toilet bowl is one unit, so cant do terry's suggestion.

cant turn the fill valve all the way. gets stuck in the corner.

thanks! if i am still stuck ill come with a pic. if im not, ill come back with a post of success!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks