Just a few water softener questions...

Users who are viewing this thread

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Reminds me of an episode of "My Name is Earl". Randy claims he would be great on the debate team because he can disagree with anything anyone else says.

And yes, Nelsen does say the same thing, please do your research. Nelsen doesnt bother with residential flow recommendations, they assume most professionals understand the practical limits of equipment sizing and application. Their entire commercial line has recommended minimum and maximum flows. You ask for proof from Watts or Nelsen, I show you proof, the proof is wrong, sigh.

A 4 cu. ft. system should work fine but will be outside of the engineering specifications for many residential applications. A properly sized twin alternating system would be a better fit. Not sure why this has turned into a multi-page discussion again.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I believe the confusion with flow rates either low or excessive is in the word intermittent which of course means it don't happen regulary in which case it dont make no difference. Or, you just feel like ball busting
I don't see any confusion or ball busting on my part, just ditto and lifespeed's, because I have never had a customer suffer from too low flow or channeling problems.

And I see you saying that you haven't either but, now ditto says downflow doesn't have channeling and that channeling isn't the problem blah blah blah... So why does he insist that low flow is a problem, in you opinion of course?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
And yes, Nelsen doesnt bother with residential flow recommendations, .... Their entire commercial line has recommended minimum and maximum flows.

A 4 cu. ft. system should work fine but will be outside of the engineering specifications for many residential applications.
Damn, you finally got it right! Nelsen does not have minimum flow rates for residential but do for their commercial softeners.

And a 4.0 cuft in residential works fine.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Lol, you still dont grasp the concept. Maybe I can help.

1" main line, 10 people in the house, 90 grains hardness, customer wants to maintain decent efficiency and regenerate approximatley every 6-7 days at 6 pounds of salt per cu. ft.

10 people x 60 GPD x 90 gpg x 6 days between regeenrations =324,000 grains system needed for this application. So you would have no problem installing a 15+ cu. ft. single tank system? According to the logic of Gary, a 30" diameter tank will have no problem with residential flows. The recommended folw rates are just that, recommended. They are design parameters that need to be considered. They are "recommendations", not mandates. Why is it a bad idea to recommend a more appropriate design for an application? A 4 cu. ft. system should work ok. Is it ideal? Is it the best choice? No, but it may be slighly cheaper than a proper twin alternating system.

Stop looking and digging for conflict where it does not exist.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't see any confusion or ball busting on my part, just ditto and lifespeed's, because I have never had a customer suffer from too low flow or channeling problems.

And I see you saying that you haven't either but, now ditto says downflow doesn't have channeling and that channeling isn't the problem blah blah blah... So why does he insist that low flow is a problem, in you opinion of course?

I don't see where he did say low flow was a problem if its intermittent.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Lol, you still dont grasp the concept. Maybe I can help.

1" main line, 10 people in the house, 90 grains hardness, customer wants to maintain decent efficiency and regenerate approximatley every 6-7 days at 6 pounds of salt per cu. ft.

10 people x 60 GPD x 90 gpg x 6 days between regeenrations =324,000 grains system needed for this application.

So you would have no problem installing a 15+ cu. ft. single tank system?

A 4 cu. ft. system should work ok.
Yep, all you've got left is the ability to make up an outrageous and untrue claim about me.

I agree with your bottom line. In this case a 4.0 would work just fine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks