Just a couple of days away

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Cuba has fantastic healthcare because they pile all of their resources into it.

You'd know that if you'd ever been there which you won't because you guys love to hold a grudge.

Their high standard of healthcare is also one reason why Cubans have a higher life expectancy than Americans.

It's everything else there that has the problems because so much goes into health, and of course the small issue of the embargo.

One thing I find absolutely pathetic about America compared to Cuba is how this country deals with maternity. In Cuba, when women approach the end of their pregnancy, care is provided in specialized maternity hospitals, to monitor and control the health of the mother, which also implies that of the child. Women get 18 weeks maternity leave at full pay.

In the US, I feel ashamed as a human being to see your women walking around (or should I say sitting around) 8 months and 3 weeks pregnant at work just so they can squeeze the most out of their measly three months maternity leave (which being America is unpaid of course). I would not treat a dog like that. I have even seen American women go into labor at work. That is a pathetic symptom of this feable excuse for a society I find myself currently living in. By implication, the value of motherhood and children to American society is nil. And that's backed up by your awful public education system which is severely under-resourced. This is a nation of immigrants because no-one can afford to be born here, and those that are are left stupid.

Sweden, incidentally, offers 480 days (16 months) maternity leave at 62% pay, which can also be shared with father (who has a dedicated 60 days).

England currently has 39 weeks paid, rising to 52 weeks paid from April 2010 (6 weeks at 90% of full pay and remainder at a flat rate (as of 2009 = £123.06) or 90% of your salary if that is less than the flat rate).

But why the heck should you pay so someone else should have kids eh? We wouldn't want to infringe on your freedom now, would we? Well, ever thought where the next generation of taxpayers and workers comes from, stupid? No, not Mexico. It's called social responsibility.

This is why this country needs Less God and More Government. For the sake of the women and the kids. If the Titanic had been launched from America, the men would have climbed in the lifeboats first, leaving the women and children to drown.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Just so you know my dad was in England during the big one and defended your country. In Italy he lost his hearing, I never knew a hearing dad. He held no grudge. When I was little in grammar school I remember having to retreat to the scary part of the basement in the school crying my eyes out for my mom but I harbor no grudge having to do this, I am just glad my kids never had to experience the threat of being blown up. My freedom means everything to me. I will defend my country with my life. I raise my American flag with pride and I love my country, my fellowmen and women, my religion, and our God in which we trust.

Women choose to work during pregnancy. Women choose to get pregnant. Once a woman in Cuba drops her baby you want to tell me what their life is like after that fact? Are their lives comparable to the women here in the US. NO. Not even close.

Why is the state the govn according to the world of Ian supposed to support everything and everything? Why on earth do you want them to control everything? Are you not an adult or can think things out? You know very little about the US along with Frenchie and the more you try to understand the worse it gets. It almost gets comical.

You insulted the educational system you just insulted me. Thanks.

Take a long look at the stats of kids who kill themselves in other countries because of the demand, the overwhelming pressure dropped onto them. No thanks Ian, I will take an American kid with American parents anyday of the week over the stupid pressures brought on by parents and their goven. It is horribly SAD. What a waste.

If you bring a kid into this world you are accountable for this little person until he is able to do so for himself, legally to a certain age. I don't mind as well as most others born and bred in the US help others, but then, their is a line Ian... where you MUST be accountable for yourself. Why on earth do you think it should be spread around?

You will be so shocked someday if you get disagnosed with something big. You and among others are in for a rude awakening. I have tried to warn you and some others, I have been there; but no, you must learn yourself. So good luck.

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I only insulted elements of the public education system. The private one here is among the best in the world as are the public schools in the lucky rich neighborhoods.

I do not want the Government to do everything. I just want it to do something. You pay for it after all.

And just because some Governments, like Cuba, do more than others does not mean that these countries are all bad because of it. That was the only point I was trying to make.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
What exactly do you consider rich? Outside the inner cities? Your attitude started busing in the 60's which didn't clearly work.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Schools with metal detectors because kids might bring knives and guns to school class are what I would call being in "poor" areas.

If all the instructors are inexperienced, and often the least effective, then I would call that being in a "poor" area.

If teachers are subjected, on a daily basis, to grossly inadequate classrooms with broken desks, cracked windows, unbearable heat, or no heat at all, dripping ceilings, insects and rodents, faulty or unavailable equipment, lack of access to copiers and supplies, not to mention a lack of administrative support for student misbehaviors, then I would call that school as being one in a "poor" area.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Is there a bear in your garden?

And the only problem with your fantastic school bus system is if you happen to fail to stop for one. Since school attendance is required by law, school buses are necessary to provide transportation to school. Or are we saying children, or even worse their parents, should have the freedom to choose whether or not they go to school? Puleese.

The American school bus system will someday save this country from a disaster. It's the only truely public transportation network you have.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Did you hear of Columbine? That is hardly a poor section of Co.
Teachers here have degrees & are certified. Teachers here care and go the distance. I am qualified which might ... surprise you to teach anywhere from grade K to college. Yikes I am old.

The conditions which you describe can also be found in any country in the world. In any home or any school. Anywhere, not just the states.

Why do you judge so much?

Lack of discipline? Are you kidding? First it has to start at home. You haven't lived until you see the parents of a child who won't sit down, stop swearing, ( where did he/she learn this) hitting other kids etc.

Bad behavior in parents leads to bad behavior in kids. The apple never falls far from the tree. When I look at a troubled kid I know I will find a troubled parent/caregiver, too. I am usually oh, so right.

I grew up in a lower class neighborhood. Our school had chalkboards, we didn't have access to copiers, LOL we shared books but we still learned. And, I had to walk a mile to school and then jump a train in the snow, okay, so not so.

The neighborhood I have lived in most of my married affluent life has a horrible rat problem. They visit at BBQ's, by walking right down the driveway. They drink at our streams. They live in the woods. We made the news more than once.

I put bait out under rocks, etc. We all do. Rats live anywhere Ian, they don't care if you are eating steak or hotdogs. The poor doesn't corner the market on them.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Why do you judge so much?

Because you are the richest country in the world.

Because we all feel the American way is the best way.

Because you should not stop striving to make that way even better.

Because you should not sit on your laurels.

And Cass's car causes global warming.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
I have friends in NZ who say the same thing about how rich we are. I actually copied with that copier available to me my bank statement. He thought I was asking for money. lol.
He said, " Kia Ora wahine where is your money?"

I don't like certain things about other countries educational system at all. It is not motivating it is simply demanding. School in many is 7 days a week, 8/10 hours a day. Many succumb to its pressure. Where is the play? That is very important. Where is the time spent with their parents having fun? The parents work long hours many days for different reasons.

Women in many countries do not even have a legal right to their kids. Only the dad has it. Many women do not live long because they end their own lives.

Their are far too many judges and chiefs.

Last edited:

Rehabber

Reaction score
Ian, so if Cubas health care system is so good, why did a doctor have to be flown in from spain to treat Fidel? Would a Dr. have been flown in for anyone else? Our healthcare system isn't perfect, but it is way better than ANY nationalized system.

Cookie

Reaction score
Agree with you Rehabber.

Here is a joke, know the difference between American wives and wives of other lands?
They take their own lives over their husbands, we take the husbands out, LOL.

Cookie

Reaction score
I think you misunderstood the type of busing I was talking about. Back in the 60's they started taking kids from one neighborhood and busing them to another neighborhood's school in order to balance out educational equality.

So, I was bused to an even poorer section of the city where I was not accepted and those kids were bused to my section of the city and was not accepted.

Parents on both sides of the fence were concerned and angry.

It failed miserably.

But what was surprising was this. I looked up the results on this to see if I was right in what I thought might be the scenario.

We, in my neighborhood did succeed in learning even though socially it was miserable and the school was inadequate; and the kids who was bused to my neighborhood to a better school still failed.

I will say it time and time again learning starts at home. Parents need to be educated on how to stimulate their kids to want to learn.

Here is a cute but kind of sad story which is true. I was there.

In a grocery store a long time ago my son came up to me asking if he could have this book. It had a picture of Superman on the front. It wasn't expensive, it was above his years to read, but not mine. I could read it to him. I said, "yep, you can have that book."

The person I was with at the time, her little girl came up asking the same thing. Her mother said, " what do you want a book for?! go buy a candy bar!"

If you can't afford books, their is a book mobile. I used it every Monday night with the boys. They loved it. We got a book, got a cone to take home to eat while we read the book together.

Each sentence has an operative word. The last sentence in the last paragraph the operative word is, together.

If the parent cannot read their are other avenues. Growing up, my mother couldn't read. I taught her when I was in the 10th grade. But, my neighbor, a wonderful lady, Mrs. Campbell who has long since passed over got me my first library card and introduced me into the world of reading.

We would sit on her front porch with her cat, ( she used to wash in a detergent like woolite boy was he soft and fluffy) and she would read to me. A nice lady with a love for her cat and for reading.

I guess you know about RIF which I just happen to believe in.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
If parents would allow their children to be who they are you would see less violence in schools. You would see the number of weapons being brought in diminish. You would see less bullies.

Parents pressure their kids to succeed. They want to say their kid is the best, the smartest, the prettiest and this is the worst thing a parent can do to their kid. They need to be accepted and heard by their parents. They need to know they are their own person and accountable for their own actions. Parents are so quick to assume their sons and daughters will make the wrong decisions that they take control and the kids end up rebelling and getting into trouble. The parents are then astounded, they say, NO NO, he or she never gave me any trouble. The parent never heard a word their kid said to know trouble was brewing. They are always the last to know. The kid pays the price and the kids their kid hurt and all families suffer.

You know what it takes to raise a kid? Love and commonsense.

Love we all know about. Love is to sacrifice for the better of another person. Your child is another person. Yet, we bring the kid into this world and instead of raising him, giving him the basics he will take with him thoughtout his life, another person is. A babysiter, another family member, mother in law, sister in law, after school programs, etc.

And, all the excuses will all fall into place soon after. Like, we need to work so much. My answer is, not if you restructure your lifestyle instead of sacrificing your child.

But people or parents don't want to hear that because they want to have it the way they want it. But when their kid gets lost in the shuffle they stupidly wonder why.

A kids first years in life belong in his home with a parent. He should wake up on Saturday and watch the toons and eat cereal. He should feel that person that is raising him nearby. That makes him feel secure. That feeling will last a lifetime.

So much of what we carry in our adulthood stems from our early youth.

If you have a kid he or she comes first.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
So far Ian as the educational system it is parents who need to take a step back so it can improve. If you think I am down on parents, yes I am. They are their child's first teacher. It is a duty too many fail to keep and then, the educational system gets the blame.

So far as the health care? I gave you the thumbs up.

Cookie

Reaction score
Parents use the schools and teachers as babysitters. Parents think nothing of sending their kids to school sick because they both have to work and won't take the time off, or use their sick days or personal days. Now the teacher is not only teaching the 3 R's but also, monitoring not one but maybe 8 sick kids out of 25 kids in one day. Then, the next day.

What is sweet is if we call the parents on it. Their kid has a fever is throwing up, got a bathroom problem and they tell the nurse or the teacher they have no one to pick up their kid and they can't leave work.

We are also working. Or trying to.

One mother told me to look into her daughter's backsack for she sent in extra pants.

This happens a lot. Mom's saying, " as soon as little Mary starts school I can go back to work." Yes, that might be true but figure out something ahead of time when little Mary is sick.

What does this eventually teach this kid? To maybe shirk the true responsibilty? That maybe, they come last? They feel unimportant and the mom or dad won't hear them when they say... I am sick, can I stay home? The parents expect the kid yet, to understand this.

When the teachers want a new contract and strike OH, MY... how we interefere with the parents lives! How dare we want more money or more benefits.

All they know, is they lost their built in babysitters until we get our heads straight. lol. I have seen it and heard it all.

By the way Ian, back to your buses, their are walkers. Not all take the buses. I have waited outside for a parent many many times. I have told repeatedly told them not to be late in picking up their kid because I have other obligations and a life, too. How many times does anyone else want to work overtime day by day by day and hour, or 45 minutes. Also, we do not get paid OT.

Parents do not understand at times what they are teaching the kids by simple action. Inconsideration is one. By being consistently late they are teaching rudeness and showing disrespect to both their own kid and their kids's teacher.

They will wonder later why their kid is rude, disrespectful of others' feelings, or constantly late.

What you show your kid, how you talk to you kid * shouting, yelling, or to others infront of them, goes a long way. If you wonder why your kid yells at you, yells at other kids or siblings, step back and take reflection on how you speak to them or others.

Swear once and they will say it later. Almost can take it to the bank.

Our educational system has quirks but all in all is a good system one of the best you will find in the world.

If you have the time and can find this movie I suggest you watch this.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0473389/

Read about this remarkable man and teacher.

http://teachers.net/gazette/JUL03/clark.html

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Sorry about that...I guess I missed that hospital...the only ones I know of in Cuba are the ones that have little medicine, run out of bandages on a regular basis, have maybe a 2-3 day wait to see a Doc. because there aren't enough docs., I guess they are training up the new Dr.s at their World Class Collages that they have there, and they surely are clamoring for the $15.00 / week the Dr.s are paid there... and I really like the time off that they give the mothers....time off from the jobs they don't have...I guess walking to and from the hospital is what helps them live so long...

Again I am sorry for missing the one hospital that the privileged class get to go to....

Liberalism is a Mental Disease and you are suffering greatly from it...you need to go to Cuba and be treated right away...

Cuba has fantastic health care because they pile all of their resources into it.

You'd know that if you'd ever been there which you won't because you guys love to hold a grudge.

Their high standard of health care is also one reason why Cubans have a higher life expectancy than Americans.

It's everything else there that has the problems because so much goes into health, and of course the small issue of the embargo.

One thing I find absolutely pathetic about America compared to Cuba is how this country deals with maternity. In Cuba, when women approach the end of their pregnancy, care is provided in specialized maternity hospitals, to monitor and control the health of the mother, which also implies that of the child. Women get 18 weeks maternity leave at full pay.

In the US, I feel ashamed as a human being to see your women walking around (or should I say sitting around) 8 months and 3 weeks pregnant at work just so they can squeeze the most out of their measly three months maternity leave (which being America is unpaid of course). I would not treat a dog like that. I have even seen American women go into labor at work. That is a pathetic symptom of this feable excuse for a society I find myself currently living in. By implication, the value of motherhood and children to American society is nil. And that's backed up by your awful public education system which is severely under-resourced. This is a nation of immigrants because no-one can afford to be born here, and those that are are left stupid.

Sweden, incidentally, offers 480 days (16 months) maternity leave at 62% pay, which can also be shared with father (who has a dedicated 60 days).

England currently has 39 weeks paid, rising to 52 weeks paid from April 2010 (6 weeks at 90% of full pay and remainder at a flat rate (as of 2009 = £123.06) or 90% of your salary if that is less than the flat rate).

But why the heck should you pay so someone else should have kids eh? We wouldn't want to infringe on your freedom now, would we? Well, ever thought where the next generation of taxpayers and workers comes from, stupid? No, not Mexico. It's called social responsibility.

This is why this country needs Less God and More Government. For the sake of the women and the kids. If the Titanic had been launched from America, the men would have climbed in the lifeboats first, leaving the women and children to drown.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I only insulted elements of the public education system. The private one here is among the best in the world as are the public schools in the lucky rich neighborhoods.

I do not want the Government to do everything. I just want it to do something. You pay for it after all.

And just because some Governments, like Cuba, do more than others does not mean that these countries are all bad because of it. That was the only point I was trying to make.

You need to learn fact from deception...but your inadequate education in a socialistic country has possibly warped a normally healthy mind into a Liberal one...it is salvageable but you need quality health care (available only in the US) to fix it and with out the proper treatment you will forever be lost in a maze of lies...

Remember...you should never allow you ignorance to override your intellectual capacities..

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Then why will the average Cuban live longer than you Cass?

Is it because of God? Or Government?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I don't know...but you tell me why people who live here

• The Italian island of Sardinia
  • Okinawa, Japan
  • Loma Linda, California
  • Costa Rica’s isolated Nicoya Peninsula
  • Ikaria, an isolated Greek island
Live longer than people any where else in the world...

I guarantee it has nothing to do with health care....

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks