Joining Dissimilar Metal Pipes - Out of New Well and Expansion Tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Chuck B

sea-bee
Reaction score
Have just had a new well drilled and a line run into my small northern Michigan cottage. As the line enters the cabin, it branches off to a stainless steel expansion tank and then to a water shutoff and spigot. The piping where the spigot is connected is galvanized, and the spigot seems to be brass.
I want to remove the spigot (there is a shut off further up the line after the expansion tank) and begin to attach 3/4" copper which will then go to a sediment filter, water softener, and water heater.
Am I guessing correctly: The galvanized pipe has to be connected to a brass nipple somehow (not directly to copper ever), then you attach the copper to that? Teflon tape ok? This must be like a water heater connection right? Except that a union is used there (dielectric union) so the heater can be replaced again? Would I use that (dielectric union) in my application, remembering that there is a plastic sleeve in those unions - improvement over simple brass?

Thanks. Chuck

Cookie

Reaction score
Yes, you are correct on everything, if I am understanding you correctly. There is also, a rubber gasket in the union in addition, to the plastic.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I would go with a brass nipple before I would the dielectric union with the plastic insert.

You can screw a brass nipple into a galvanized coupling on one side and a copper x female adapter on the other.

Chuck B

sea-bee
Reaction score
and would I use teflon tape where the brass nipple screws into the galvanized fitting, and then again where the copper meets the other end...or is pipe dope preferable? thanks!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The pipe dope vs Teflon tape vs both is on going. So pick one or the other or both and you'll almost always be right!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks