Joining 3" waste lines in your home

Users who are viewing this thread

Nate S.

Reaction score
I am removing a wall between my kitchen and dining room and it has 2 - 3" black waste lines running down the wall. They are coming from two bathrooms upstairs. I need to reroute them to an exterior wall and I was wondering if I could join them into a single 3" line?

Attachments

• waste plumbing.jpg
    waste plumbing.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 192

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What drains into each line? The combination of things may exceed the capacity of a 3" line if they are combined. So, the answer is maybe without further information. Also note that on an exterior wall, depending on how cold it gets, and how much insulation there is, things could freeze up a bit, but that's unlikely. Regardless, with a big drainage pipe in the wall, there won't be much room for insulation, and you may have a cold stripe down the wall.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can have up to three toilets on 3" horizontal.
You can combine them if it doesn't ruin the wood structure of the home.
No more than 1/3 of the joist and at least 2" of wood on the top of the joist and the bottom of the joist. The 1/3 allowed has to be somewhere in the middle of the joist.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks