Jet Pump Taking Forever to Prime but not losing pressure.

Users who are viewing this thread

CountryRemodeller

Reaction score
Hey there,

TL;DR: my brand new jet pump has yet to build up to shut off pressure, we've changed the pump (including the injector) also changed the foot valve and some of the piping that goes to the well. There's lots of water in the well. Also checked the pipes that go down the well for leaks/holes and nothing. The pump doesn't lose pressure when we shut it off. We've been turning it off and back on, and the pressure goes up a little bit each time (went from 0-30 normally then its been going VERY slowly from there on).

I've found so much good information on here, I thought it couldn't hurt to see if anyone has experienced something similar and what they did. Apologies in advance as I'm obviously no expert but happy to check anything you recommend in order to give you more info!

As the title says, my jet well pump is taking forever to reach the shut off pressure (50 psi). I've had pros come take a look, and my father who is a contractor has been helping. He's familiar with wells as he has one with a jet pump in his own home and has made repairs and updates.

One day, the water pressure started dropping and then the water stopped running altogether. My father took a look and saw the pump that was in the house when we bought it (older fixer upper home) was no longer working. He changed it for one that he had laying around, it still worked but the house it came from had just updated to a submersible pump. That worked for a few months until we got the same issue again.

So, we replaced the pump with a brand new one (bought new, not used), we dug up the well and replaced the foot valve, injector and a few feet of the end of the pipes that lead into the well. The pump got up to 30psi and then the pressure stopped going up so we shut it off. When turning back on, we can get a tiny bit more pressure each time and the pressure doesn't fall when turning it off. Any ideas on things that could be causing it?

The pro that came to look came before we dug it up and he said that it will likely be the foot valve, but clearly it didn't end up being that. Before paying someone to come back and trouble shoot for hours, I thought I'd check here to see if there's anything we've missed checking first.

Thanks for any advice!

Reach4

Reaction score
I would check for s suction leak or a clogged jet nozzle. What was wrong with the submersible? That is the way to go.
How much vacuum would you expect on the suction line? I guess that could vary. I would think less than for a shallow well pump.

I wonder if the jet was not well-matched to the well and pump.

OP: Try using the search box above searching this forum for
index.php

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
  1. Where is the jet? On the pump or down in the well?
  2. How high is the water table and how deep is the well?
  3. Have you checked the pressure tank? Emptied it and set the pressure at ~28 PSI?
  4. Has this problem just start with this new pump? What was wrong with the old pump?
  5. Between the pump and pressure tank, is there a spigot you can open and check the water volume of what the pump is putting out?

jet cross view.jpg
As others suggested, its possible there is debris at the nozzle or venturi.

Reach4

Reaction score
1. down the well.

3. Should typically be 25 for a 30/50 jet pump, I think.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks