Jet Pump Some Loss of Pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

Gord ryan

Reaction score
Hi all,

Having an interesting problem with my shallow well jet pump.

My pump pressure switch is set to 40-60 cutoff. The pump successfully pressurizes the system up to 60psi, pump turns off and then it make a gurgling sound for a few seconds and the pressure reduces to around 42 psi.

Once at 42psi, the system maintains pressure indefinitely and is fine until water is used in the house on which the above repeats.

Confirmed the following:

1) There is water in the well
2) the Pressure tank is set to 38psi, not waterlogged
3)Joints appear to be as tight as I can get them/not drawing air.
4)When I bleed the pump on top of the casing, no air comes out it is water immediately.

Based on this evidence, I don't believe it is a leak and/or foot valve issue because the pressure should continue to drop to 0 psi.

Any ideas on what is going on there?

Thanks.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Where is the pressure switch and the pressure gauge in relation to the tank? If it is not directly on the tank Tee, then the pump could be shutting off prematurely. If you remove the cover on the switch and lift where the spring contacts the plate to turn the pump back on, does it again do the exact same thing?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
2) the Pressure tank is set to 38psi, not waterlogged...
How do you know it is not waterlogged? Did you lift it to confirm it is empty? Tanks have been known to develop a small enough leak in the bladder/diaphragm that lets water pass one way but very slow to let that same water out.

Gord ryan

Reaction score
This below is similar to mine, pressure gauge right/switch right off the impellor housing. I will need to verify your second statement but I do suspect that it will do the same. Over the years I have had this problem before, but I have never had such an extreme pressure drop (~20psi), its been more like 5 psi.

Usually this problem seems to occur when the level in my well is lower (over the course of a year my well level varies between 20ft and 1ft of water). I had assumed that perhaps when the level is lower, the pump is sucking air because of the limited water head above. Not sure if this is even a logical thought or not. Just to confirm the well is sitting at around 15ft currently.

When the pump cuts off at 60psi, it make this whooshing sound (to me it sounds like air moving through the impellor casing) and when it does this the pressure gauge needle goes crazy up and down until it settles around 42psi. I have adjusted the pressure switch to something like 35 - 55 just to avoid the pump never turning off.

For the pressure tank, I did not actually lift it. I bled all of the air out(removed stem) to see if water pissed out, which it did not. I then recharged it back to 32ishpsi (to match my adjusted switch settings).

I will do a full system drain and lift the tank just to make sure though. I did just buy this tank 1.5years ago. Will post to confirm.

upload_2020-1-2_14-11-21.png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks