Jet Pump Pressure Issue

Users who are viewing this thread

BrianC73

Reaction score
I’m having a strange problem with a shallow well pump I recently installed. I also pulled and replaced the driven pipe and point. The pump primes right up to 50 PSI and will hold indefinitely. On the discharge side I have a 1” tee which transitions to a 3/4” PVC line which then is reduced down to a couple 1/2” PVC valves which will ultimately provide water to a toilet and sink. They are currently closed and no leaks present. Off the Tee I have a 3/4” bushing and then a 3/4” valve intended to serve as a drain. I have a short length of garden hose attached to it and am using it to test the set up. It works perfectly at times, with the pump kicking on just under 30 PSI and then pumping endlessly at a good volume. I noticed that once in a while the pressure will drop to zero, and after paying closer attention have found that this only occurs when I fully open the valve. If I open the valve partially, the pump kicks on at 30 PSI and flow is maintained. If I open the valve all the way, the pump kicks on but pressure quickly drops to zero. Any ideas?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Sounds like your well is producing fewer GPM than the hose can put out. Have you calculated the GPM coming out from the hose?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks