Jet Pump or Sprinkler Pump

Users who are viewing this thread

aramtch

Reaction score
We have a 2 inch well that servies both our sprinkler system AND our home. The depth to water in my well is about 12'.

I have a 60' horizontal run from the well to where my pump is - which sits about another 1 foot above the ground. Then our pump is hooked up to a pressure tank.

I was able to hook up a 1HP shallow well jet pump, but was only able to pump about 9 GPM, while I need about 15-17 GPM.

Someone suggested using a sprinkler pump instead - that it would supply the needed GPM. Would that work?

Or would i be better off going with a 1-1/2 HP shallow well jet pump?

The well is pretty much brand new and produces plenty of water (they were pumping probably 30-40GPM out of it when they hooked up a gas pump to it at the time of drilling).

Thanks in advance for you guidance!

aramtch

Reaction score
Great - thanks for your reply! With a sprinkler pump, would the installed pressure tank address the pressure issue? Or would it not even be able to fill the pressure tank past a certain PSI?

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Forget using a sprinkler pump for house use as they wouldn't give you satisfactory pressure. Sprinkler pumps are for pumping water from a lake for sprinkler systems. Jet pumps will bulid sufficient pressure for home use but supply a limited amount of water.
A 1-1/2 hp pump will pump more water and pressure but it still won't give you a big flow. My suggestion is to install an irrigation controller with more zones that require less flow per zone. Keep in mind you may still have limited water in the home when running the sprinklers.
As Valveman suggested you may consider installing a multi-stage jet pump but they are more expensive.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
The depth to water in my well is about 12'.

another 1 foot above the ground.
a 1HP shallow well jet pump, but was only able to pump about 9 GPM, while I need about 15-17 GPM.

With your numbers and assuming 60% efficiency for the pump and 50 PSI I get about 0.5 hp. I think there is a problem in your system.

HD 13 in feet
Pressure 50 in PSI
Equiv HD 128.5 in feet
Flow rate 9 in GPM
eff 60 in percent

Power = 0.48723458 in hp

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks