Jet pump is cycling on and off after filling bladder tank

Users who are viewing this thread

acantha

Reaction score
As a DIY'er, I'm at my wits end. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Summary:

Jet pump is cycling on and off after filling bladder tank.

Bladder tank is Well X Trol wx255

When drained the wx255 is holding 40 psi and holds 21 gallons measured by me. No leaks according to the water meter to the house (which has a trickle meter).

A new pressure switch was just installed at factory specs (30-50)

Put a new check value in between the jet pump and bladder tank

Double (triple) checked for prime in pump – no air

Well water goes into a a 1000 gallon holding tank and this tank is connected to the jet pump (so it is very easy to prime the pump).

The pump is only a year old and works great. It’s a Grainger 1D881, plenty of muscle for pushing the water 10 feet at ground level to the bladder tank.

Could the bladder tank be bad even though it has the pressure and capacity noted in the summary? It’s about 15 years old.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
As a DIY'er, I'm at my wits end. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Summary:

Jet pump is cycling on and off after filling bladder tank.

Bladder tank is Well X Trol wx255

When drained the wx255 is holding 40 psi and holds 21 gallons measured by me. No leaks according to the water meter to the house (which has a trickle meter).

A new pressure switch was just installed at factory specs (30-50)

Put a new check value in between the jet pump and bladder tank

Double (triple) checked for prime in pump – no air

Well water goes into a a 1000 gallon holding tank and this tank is connected to the jet pump (so it is very easy to prime the pump).

The pump is only a year old and works great. It’s a Grainger 1D881, plenty of muscle for pushing the water 10 feet at ground level to the bladder tank.

Could the bladder tank be bad even though it has the pressure and capacity noted in the summary? It’s about 15 years old.
Of course it could be bad. How long does it cycle. Meaning does it effectually stop cycling?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Where is the tank in order of operations? Start from the beginning. Pump then check, then riser then.....

acantha

Reaction score
Where is the tank in order of operations? Start from the beginning. Pump then check, then riser then.....

Thanks for the reply.

Hope I'm understanding what you want.

So I have a 1000 gallon holding tank. The jet pump is on a 10" metal stand maybe 1 foot from the holding tank. From the ejector, the pipe goes up to the roof about 7 -8 feet ( so we don't have to step over it) then horizontally 3-4 feet, then down 7-8 feet to the bladder tank.

It's been like this for 15 years.

Sarg

Enjoy Learning
Reaction score
As suggested on the "other" forum ................. the air tank (empty) should be set a couple psi lower than the switch on pressure. You stated the switch was a 30/50 and the tank was set in the 40's

Fitter30

Reaction score
All ready have a check between pump and expansion tank. Every check added is a pressure drop. Pull the check apart in discharge of pump to inspect.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks