Jet pump hums and starts intermittently

Users who are viewing this thread

J Smiley

Reaction score
I have a deep well jet pump that does not run consistently. When the water pressure drops the pressure switch will click and them the pump will hum for a few seconds then stop. After about 20-30 seconds the pump will hum again for a few seconds then stop. This continues for 2-10 minutes before the pump actually starts running and pumping water. I can easily turn the motor drive shaft with my fingers so it does not appear to be sticking. I replaced the capacitor but no change. Any ideas what the problem is??

J Smiley

Reaction score
Since you already replaced the capacitor I would say your problem is probably in the centrifugal switch on the end of the motor shaft.

I have not been able to find a replacement centrifugal switch for my pump. Would it be best just to replace the pump then?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Sometimes a tiny amount of lubricant on the pivot points can help. Sometimes flipping the springs around help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks