Jet pump horizontal distance from well head

Users who are viewing this thread

Adkroot

Reaction score
I'm at 1700' elevation and drawing 12' vertical using a 1/2 hp pump , 1 1/4" pipe, and a well point. This services a camp with low water demand. I'd like to replace the old galvanized with pex or black poly and move the pump as well. I can't locate anything other than 3/4" pex, but can get larger diameter black poly. If I move the pump it'll be 30' horizontal from the well. I believe 3/4 may be too small a diameter, but if it's not is the friction loss too great to use it? And if I go with 1 1/4 is the 30' horizontal a problem? Thanks

Hader

Reaction score
I came here with the same question (2 years later).
This is what I found out from franklinwater.com/media/166885/106498111_swj_manual_06-16-final.pdf
"HORIZONTAL OFFSET SUCTION PIPING When the pipe is offset from the well, the horizontal offset suction piping may have to be increased in diameter to reduce friction loss. The table below shows recommended pipe sizes, depending on the offset distance. Pipe from the pump to the well should slope downward (about 4 inches to every 10 feet)."

Suction:
Pump Size 1/2 hp 1-1/4" Up to 150'. 1-1/2" 150-300'
Pump Size 3/4 hp 1-1/4" Up to 75'. 1-1/2" 75-100'

Discharge:
Pump Size 1/2 hp 1" 5-30'. 2" 30-100'
Pump Size 3/4 hp 1" 5-25'. 2" 25-100'
Pump Size 1 hp 1" 5-20'. 2" 20-50'

Does anyone have any thing to add to this?

Thank you,

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I find long suction lines to be a problem. The slope is very important in that you do not want a high spot to accumulate air. Even when the pump is the high spot a long suction can have a lot of air in the water to accumulate while the pump is off. When the pump comes on you will lose prime. Air vents won't work on a suction line either. So, best to keep suction lines as short as possible.

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
My vertical distance is 6’ and my horizontal is 110’. I have absolutely no problems with my 1/2 hp jet pump. My suction line is 1-1/4” PVC.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks