Jet Pump deep well loosing pressure at pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Mainiac1

Reaction score
My Sta-Rite jet pump is cycling on about every 8 minutes. 65' well, 40' of suction line. I can watch the pressure gauge at the pump go down to 35 psi and kick on til 55 and shut off. Pressure switch is working ok. I have an output shut off valve a few feet after the pressure tank shut off. I've already replaced the Sense line to pressure switch which had a leak. Replaced foot valve and Pipe cup seals by foot valve, and casing adapter seal where jet pump sits on top of 2" PVC well casing. Found shrader valve leaking on top of pressure tank, but replacing it dn help. Pulled the pressure tank and plugged hole. Now the leak real shows as pump has to kick on every 10 seconds. Acts like a leak in the casing or suction pipe in the well. No sign of any external water leaks anywhere. Could the there be an internal pump casing leak where the suction side and pressure side of the pump are equalizing? What else could it be? Thanks in advance for the help.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Water is leaking somewhere. Most likely the leathers are not sealing. You may need to cut the pipe and move the leathers up a little to put them in a new and better piece of pipe. You also most likely have a waterlogged tank. Water should not be coming out the Schrader.

Mainiac1

Reaction score
Water is leaking somewhere. Most likely the leathers are not sealing. You may need to cut the pipe and move the leathers up a little to put them in a new and better piece of pipe. You also most likely have a waterlogged tank. Water should not be coming out the Schrader.

The pipe broke when I was putting it back on the hole the 1st time, so the pipe is a few" shorter now. Shrader valve was leaking air. Replaced the valve and pressure tested it isolated..held 30 psi good for 3+ hours. Leathers are new. pump Pressure is good, and no external leaks on the topside pump and piping. I'm thinking I got a leak in my vacuum pipe going down to the foot valve, as I've had to pull the pipe 5 or 6 times now, or the pvc casing has a hole in it.

Reach4

Reaction score
Shrader valve was leaking air.
Put a good valve cap with a seal on that. Surprisingly, the valve cap of a tire is considered the main seal vs the valve.

I don't think the pipe down to the venturi is called a vacuum pipe.

What about your pressure tank.... The tank should be empty of water when there is zero water pressure. Since the Schrader valve is at the top, no water coming out does not mean the tank is still good. However holding air precharge for an extended time (months) does mean the tank is still good.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I don't think the pipe down to the venturi is called a vacuum pipe.
Suction versus vacuum is semantics. A leak in that pipe would not cause a loss of water. Only a leak in the casing, foot valve, or the leathers would.

r_3_schema-CONVA-2.jpg

Mainiac1

Reaction score
Great picture. Thanks to those that posted. I'm pretty sure the leather cup seals I bought and installed are a little bit too large on the ID. I've been looking for 2" OD x 1-1/4" id and most everything is 1-5/16" ID, which I have now and their kindy sloppy. this is where I think I'm loosing the seal in the well. Any good sources for these seals?
Thanks again

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks