Japanese toilet installation in USA?

Users who are viewing this thread

Sackdz

Reaction score
[e] Completed my install and totally enjoying it! Check the details in post below

Hello,

I'm about to move back to the states from Japan, and there's no way we can give up these amazing toilets.
So I plan to bring back a Toto or INAX entire toilet/washlet combo.

-I'm aware of the electrical supply differences and requirements and have a solution there.
-I also know that the supply fittings are US standard so know issues there. I know some are designed for supply valve on the port side instead of starboard like in the states. A problem which is solvable.
-Rough-in according to the spec sheets is adjustable on the Toto models and at seems to cover 12"-14" without issue.

Is there anything else I may be overlooking?
How about the drain flange itself? Is shape or diameter a concern,or does wax solve everything?

These toilets are much, much cheaper in Japan so the lack or warranty and perhaps direct replacement parts from Toto USA is justifiable to me. Shipping will also be free, too!

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Shipping something like a toilet, while maybe 'free', is still with risks...the thing is made of porcelain, and heavy. Not something typically dealt with in household goods even with the factory packaging.

If you have the owner's manual, you could compare part numbers between that one and the equivalent in the US from the www.totousa.com website. Isn't most of Japan using 110vac? If so, that shouldn't' be an issue at all other than maybe the plug.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
I think more trouble than worth it. What is so amazing that you can't get here?
But, hey, you tell us when you get them.
There is a thread on this forum of a person who brought a Japanese Neorest over and the unique rough in plastic fitting and insides match ups were different.

Last edited:

Sackdz

Reaction score
I think more trouble than worth it. What is so amazing that you can't get here?
But, hey, you tell us when you get them.
There is a thread on this forum of a person who brought a Japanese Neorest over and the unique rough in plastic fitting and insides match ups were different.
Thank you so much for mentioning, I missed that thread in my search. It's exactly the info I need!

Shipping something like a toilet, while maybe 'free', is still with risks...the thing is made of porcelain, and heavy. Not something typically dealt with in household goods even with the factory packaging.

Isn't most of Japan using 110vac? If so, that shouldn't' be an issue at all other than maybe the plug.
Thanks for your concern, but shipping in by sea container with all the rest of my household items.
FYI: Japan grid is all 100VAC, with 60Hz service in the west at 50Hz in the east. The plugs are the same as the US standard.
A Japanese toilet will all be rated for 100VAC 50/60Hz.

And yes, I feel $12000 is worth the trouble. That's the price difference between the top of the line Neorest NX from USA Toto vs the equivalent in Japan.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If they're delivering the container direct to your new place and you can unload it, and the same on the other end, probably okay. But, if it is being unloaded and loaded, and stuff trucked to where the container is, those extra steps do not bode well for something like a toilet. The more times it is handled, the more likely there is for damage to occur.

The power may not be an issue as many 'universal' power supplies can handle that range. If it's a fixed PS, it may be an issue. It's also possible that there's a jumper(s) or switches on the PS board that can be changed to adapt the PS to the US standards. Normally, the 50/60Hz isn't an issue, but it can be. IT costs more to make it more universal, but it also means inventory is cheaper, so it's a trade-off. Some have a clock or timer function, and depending on how it's built, the 50/60Hz can make a difference in the time-keeping. If it's got its own crystal, no problem, if it's using the Hz, the timing will be off.

Sackdz

Reaction score
@jadnashua
32000 posts, wow! Thanks for all your concerns, but when you do an international move like this, you'll have insurance in case things break. As I mentioned I have the electrical considerations sorted already, but you're on the right track.

I'm really hoping the guy in the other thread comes back with his conclusion if the US market unifit worked in his JP toilet or not, or how much modification it took.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
You know USA power is 120V. I''m no electrician but 100V. seems not rated high enough.
Here in Calif. Toto Neorest NX1 is about $8,820. USD NX2 is definitely an eye opener at $17K.
What equivalent are they selling in Japan that you can buy?

Asset Electric

Reaction score
It can be risky to ship something as heavy as a toilet, even if it's 'free'. We are talking about something made of porcelain. Porcelain is not something that is normally packaged for shipping in household goods.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think in the other thread the issue was attempting to use the US unifit on the Japanese version of the neorest.. so ss long as it comes with its own Unifit you should be able to easily adapt that to a closet flange in the US. You might have to move the location of the drain. I had to move the drain for a German made duravit before they made adapters for our 12" rough in.

getting factory service on your neorest should be an interesting phone call!
The power may not be an issue as many 'universal' power supplies can handle that range. If it's a fixed PS, it may be an issue. It's also possible that there's a jumper(s) or switches on the PS board that can be changed to adapt the PS to the US standards. Normally, the 50/60Hz isn't an issue, but it can be. IT costs more to make it more universal, but it also means inventory is cheaper, so it's a trade-off. Some have a clock or timer function, and depending on how it's built, the 50/60Hz can make a difference in the time-keeping. If it's got its own crystal, no problem, if it's using the Hz, the timing will be off.
I don't think they do have any switches on the board to change any settings. I see the insides of a Lot of neorest. The only settings that can be changed are in the remote control which reprograms settings in the Neorest.

oCanada

Reaction score
Hi, just wanted to add a bit of information that I had on this topic in the hopes it helps someone else. I brought the Toto Apricot bidet seats with the auto flush option from Japan and was able to install them on a Toto Drake and Ultramax elongated toilets here. No changes were really needed on the plumbing side aside from having to add a tee to split the water off. The connection size was compatible with imperial sizes used here. I added a power transformer to step down the power but it might not be necessary as the voltage is somewhat close. The only part that was a bit iffy was I needed to trim the auto flush plastic around the lever a bit to better fit into the flush lever hole a bit. I think if you take a look at the Toto s450 or similar N. American models available and find a similar Toto bidet model in Japan you should be ok. I remember finding a compatibility chart for the s400 bidet which was very similar to the Apricot model in Japan which gave me confidence this could work. The only other downside is the buttons are all in Japanese. This was 10 years ago for me so ymmv. Happy to share photos or anything to help.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi, just wanted to add a bit of information that I had on this topic in the hopes it helps someone else. I brought the Toto Apricot bidet seats with the auto flush option from Japan and was able to install them on a Toto Drake and Ultramax elongated toilets here. No changes were really needed on the plumbing side aside from having to add a tee to split the water off. The connection size was compatible with imperial sizes used here. I added a power transformer to step down the power but it might not be necessary as the voltage is somewhat close. The only part that was a bit iffy was I needed to trim the auto flush plastic around the lever a bit to better fit into the flush lever hole a bit. I think if you take a look at the Toto s450 or similar N. American models available and find a similar Toto bidet model in Japan you should be ok. I remember finding a compatibility chart for the s400 bidet which was very similar to the Apricot model in Japan which gave me confidence this could work. The only other downside is the buttons are all in Japanese. This was 10 years ago for me so ymmv. Happy to share photos or anything to help.
The seats would be much easier to adapt than a Neorest

Sackdz

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I wanted to follow up and post my project to hopefully inspire other Japan expats who are considering bringing a Japanese toilet home to North America. I did a bunch of research before purchasing a Toto Neorest toilet from Rakuten.com in Japan. We had the toilet delivered with our household goods which my company paid and insured.

Here's the summary of key points:
-Water fittings are no problem, all sizes are commonly available in USA,
-I made sure to order a bowl with adjustable rough-in drain tube, although I ended up cutting it basically to a standard size with is also available as fixed tube. It anyway let me adjust the distance to wall perfectly.
-I relocated my existing wall water supply and brought it up through the floor behind the Toto panel
-I picked up a used transformer from ebay (Nissyo 1500W) and properly installed it on my sub panel on a new circuit with dedicated 100V outlet in my bathroom.
-I used extra thick wax ring and it did the job, the good part is the bowl can be removed without disturbing the drain connection since there's a separate gasket the bowl sits on.

I'll let the photos in the link below answer the rest of the questions, but please feel free to ask here and I'll check this thread sooner or later.

Photos

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
That field adjustable trap adapter is awesome. I've always wished we had those available here. Thanks for posting this update. Still a bit curious how warranty work will happen with that unit since the parts are proprietary and only available through Toto.

WhatisReal

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I wanted to follow up and post my project to hopefully inspire other Japan expats who are considering bringing a Japanese toilet home to North America. I did a bunch of research before purchasing a Toto Neorest toilet from Rakuten.com in Japan. We had the toilet delivered with our household goods which my company paid and insured.

Here's the summary of key points:
-Water fittings are no problem, all sizes are commonly available in USA,
-I made sure to order a bowl with adjustable rough-in drain tube, although I ended up cutting it basically to a standard size with is also available as fixed tube. It anyway let me adjust the distance to wall perfectly.
-I relocated my existing wall water supply and brought it up through the floor behind the Toto panel
-I picked up a used transformer from ebay (Nissyo 1500W) and properly installed it on my sub panel on a new circuit with dedicated 100V outlet in my bathroom.
-I used extra thick wax ring and it did the job, the good part is the bowl can be removed without disturbing the drain connection since there's a separate gasket the bowl sits on.

I'll let the photos in the link below answer the rest of the questions, but please feel free to ask here and I'll check this thread sooner or later.

Photos
I wish I saw this earlier, I import Japanese appliance like water heater with ofuro. From my experience you don't really need the power transformer. They will work just fine but i guess it is good to do it with caution. Instead of the wax ring, you can get the TOTO flange model number HP430. I attached the pdf but you want to follow the VP100 for 4 inch or VP75 for 3inch. These will make the connection the intended way toto designed it but you might need to do a little pipe gluing. If your house is old and uses iron or copper then it will be a different model number but that one is much much more difficult to do

Attachments

• HP430 Manual.pdf
    193.1 KB · Views: 32

gillrich

Reaction score
In most cases, using a wax ring during installation should effectively seal any differences in the flange and prevent leaks. Just ensure that the wax ring you use is compatible with the toilet and the existing drain pipe to create a tight seal.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thats some cool info ! I never installed one of those . I like the unifit has adjustment by cut and glue

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks