Japanese shower fixtures- thread sizes???

Users who are viewing this thread

cab

Reaction score
Does anyone here know anything about Japanese fixture thread sizes? I am building a Japanese home with a traditional walk in shower/bath room and want to use the Japanese style shower fixtures. I would like to know what kind of threads they use to see if I can connect with my water supply lines....

Thanks,

Chris

Here is a picture of a fixture and Japanese shower room:

Attachments

• japaneseshower.jpg
    japaneseshower.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 3,031

cab

Reaction score
I figured they would be metric. Are there adapters made and where would I find such things?

Thanks again for the reply...

Chris

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Thats the fun part once you know what size you need let your fingers do the walking. Try some of those fancy designer places!

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Unless you bought this unit in Japan yourself and brought it back yourself. The place that you purchashed this unit should have supplied you with adapters to connect to standard American/Canadian plumbing. Have you tried to connect American threads to your faucet yet? just to test it first

European faucets are often supplied with metric to standard adaptors .As Redwood suggested, You need to check and designer type place that does alot of importing with brass faucets/fittings.

cab

Reaction score
I plan to order them from a supplier in Japan. I am sure they will not come with any adapters. While they do not sell the fixtures I want in the US, I guess my best move is to call the US rep and ask them, maybe they can find out....

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Plumbing fixtures I sell are made for the US market, include electrical and thread connections made to US specs.

I see plumbing brought back by tourists made for the Japanese market, and it can be quite different than what is found here.

I've seen their catalog and they sell things that have never been seen here. Nor would we know how to hook some things up.
It will be an interesting project to be sure.

I know the reps don't encourage conversions, nor will you see that information on their web site.

As an example.
The tank parts for some of the Japanese toilets for US use, are supplied by Korky, a US supplier of tank parts.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here is a link to a source of metric fittings. http://mdmetric.com/

If you have a complete set of Japanese fixtures, such as the shower head, piping, and control shown in the first post, they should all go together. Then all you need to do is adapt the water supply that is hidden behind the wall. You might be able to bore out a brass part to accept a US copper tube, or expand a wrought copper fitting or tube, to be able to solder them together.

Your customer might be happier in ten years if you could find "Japanese style" fixtures made to US plumbing standards.

You might have trouble meeting some codes with imported fixtures.

Last edited:

cab

Reaction score
I have looked and looked and can not find anything in the US similar to the Japanese style shower fixtures. These are basically a faucet with a hand-held, surface mountable, shower head take-off. They have a thermostatic mixing valve built in at the faucet which allows you to set the temp on the left. They also have a valve which allows you to divert the water from the faucet to the shower, on the right side.

All I need to do is attach the water supply lines. I was hoping to find an adapter. I will look into the link above.

I do not know if they are pressure balanced, I will have to check.

The model I am looking at is made by Toto. A picture is below.

Thanks again for all the help...

Attachments

• toto shower.jpg
    toto shower.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 3,394
Last edited:

cab

Reaction score
I would really really appreciate that! Thank you!

Chris

I brought a couple of those back with me from Japan. They work great! I haven't fixed one of them as I was waiting to get my bath remodelled to a Japanese style.

I will check my threading and let you know.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Grohe makes one nearly identical in function to that...I have it installed in my bath. It came with all of the adapters necessary to install it on a US sized piping system. http://www.grohecatalog.com/product/34066/ I chose this because I did not have access behind that wall and had installed a pocket door. There is a big air duct just behind that, so no real access, and swapping ends wasn't an easy option. WOrks great.

cab

Reaction score
Grohe makes one nearly identical in function to that...I have it installed in my bath. It came with all of the adapters necessary to install it on a US sized piping system. http://www.grohecatalog.com/product/34066/ I chose this because I did not have access behind that wall and had installed a pocket door. There is a big air duct just behind that, so no real access, and swapping ends wasn't an easy option. WOrks great.

That looks really nice! I can get the TOTO unit wholesale in Japan for less than half the price of the Grohe unit at about $125 though, and since I will need two of them, I think I will stick with the TOTO and some adapters.

I appreciate the info! Thanks,

Chris

mok

Reaction score
Hello, I realize this is an older thread, but I stumbled onto via a search. I am doing exactly the opposite of Cab, bought Grohe hardware in the US (and saved a LOT over the Japanese Grohe prices) and brought it to Japan for a loft we are renovating. Only after we brought the hardware back, did we realize that the thread sizes would be a problem, and am now in search of adapters.

Cab, and others, where did you end up finding your adapters?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks