Jammed sink stopper...do I have to saw???

Users who are viewing this thread

Lyn Wolford

Reaction score
I got frustrated and craaaaaammmmmmed the stopper of my bathroom sink down into the drain assembly and wow did it work! It is suuuuuppppper stuck now and moving the up/down thingy does nothing...and is even harder than it was before. Grrrrr.

Believe I have what I need to put in a new one, but how do I get this one out?

Good news is that the little bar doohickey through which you thread the up/downer is broken (don't look at me) so I can pull that out and get rid of that obstacle. So can I, in theory, somehow turn the whole darn thing, stopper and all??

I should have listened to my mother....something about patience.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
You get it out by disassembling the drain set from the trap to the sink.

Then you re-assemble it again, but if it's damaged get a new drain set.

Not sure? don't know how? no time to do it? got no tools? ---- call a friendly plumber.

P.S. Don't forget to put a big enough bowl under the trap to catch water.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
You get it out by disassembling the drain set from the trap to the sink.

Then you re-assemble it again, but if it's damaged get a new drain set.

Not sure? don't know how? no time to do it? got no tools? ---- call a friendly plumber.

P.S. Don't forget to put a big enough bowl under the trap to catch water.

Yeah - call a friendly plumber. Cuz we're such a friendly bunch.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you want to try to save the existing stuff, you might be able to just drop the P-trap. You may have to pull the actuator rod stuff, depending on clearance. Shove a rod/dowel up there to try to raise the stopper.

Maybe you could rectify the reason that the stopper jammed with cleaning or sandin

You might be able to use some repair kit for the broken rod. Try this search on a site with plumbings stuff: drain rod

Come to think of it, replacing the whole assembly sounds easier now that I think about it. However lifting the stopper out could let you use the lavatory until you get the assembly replaced.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks