Jammed Fleck 5810SXT (w/video)

Users who are viewing this thread

D C

Reaction score
I noticed that there was an excess of water in the brine tank, almost up to the overflow, despite only 2 bags of salt being in it.
Initiated a recharge and instead of a backwash, I got a partial rotation of the gears, some sort of beep, a grunt from the motor, and a partial reversal.
Pressing the button to move to the next cycle was similar, and again to the next and next and next.
Apparently, it must move something enough for brine fill, but there is no recharging going on.

Ran through the same sequence 3-4x with the same results.

Any idea what to look for? It was installed almost exactly 4 years ago.

Reach4

Reaction score
If not drawing brine, plugged injector or maybe injector screen? Vacuum leak in a brine line connection?

No error code?

If things are really screwy, I would look for a broken piston.

D C

Reaction score
More than not drawing brine, it's not backwashing or anything that involves 'real' water flow.
It did the same thing once quite some time ago, and in January I noticed a lot of brine. I tried to catch it on video then, but it started and ran normally.

Here's that normal startup to compare with, and you can hear the backwash starting.

Reach4

Reaction score
Is there an error code? Maybe I was not clear in #2.

A new rebuild kit may fix this. I expect there is a way to test whether the piston is moving freely, but I have not looked up that procedure. I would think it would be going part way into the procedure for changing seals and piston, but pausing when the top of the piston assy is detached.

I have changed the seals on my 5810sxt, but it has been a while. In my case the seal did not fix the intermittent problem. It took a new control board with newer firmware. I am not implying that will cure your failure, but I only mention it to let you know that my experience is limited. So is the piston ok and seized up due to a bad seal, or something else.

D C

Reaction score
Is there an error code? Maybe I was not clear in #2.

A new rebuild kit may fix this. I expect there is a way to test whether the piston is moving freely, but I have not looked up that procedure. I would think it would be going part way into the procedure for changing seals and piston, but pausing when the top of the piston assy is detached.

I have changed the seals on my 5810sxt, but it has been a while. In my case the seal did not fix the intermittent problem. It took a new control board with newer firmware. I am not implying that will cure your failure, but I only mention it to let you know that my experience is limited. So is the piston ok and seized up due to a bad seal, or something else.
Sorry, no error code. (Forgot to respond to that) The display happily cycles between time and gal remaining... which barely ever changes, but that's a flow-meter issue I need to address.

And now that I've given it some time to think about what it's done, I hit the button to see if it was giving an error code as it cycled through, and of course it started up just fine into the backwash cycle.

Asker123

Reaction score
4 years only and this happening?
I have just bought it new so need to watch such threads.....
I heard this valve was very reliable

Reach4

Reaction score
It has been failing way too much, and is being discontinued. :-( If I had it to do over, I would have used the 5600sxt for my 3/4 inch plumbing. The Fleck 2510sxt can do one inch. But my 5810sxt is working fine now.

There was a long period where 5810 replacement pistons were not available.

Last edited:

D C

Reaction score
Can't say I'm impressed with it so far. Flow meter has crapped out and now this. Doesn't seem like a particularly sophisticated widget with technology that's been around for eons.

Just remembered that a few months ago, the screen was blank and unresponsive. Buttons did nothing. Finally killed power for a while and it came alive when plugged back in.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks