I've got some sink drainage issues; need advice/diagram to correct

Users who are viewing this thread

terzdesign

Reaction score
Both my kitchen sink and bathroom sink are not plumbed to drain correctly, or at least I don't think they are. Kitchen sink works fine but it dumps into the sump pump. Is that normal? The pump has to run every time I use the sink, and I have a garbage disposal... Also the basement has a faint sewer gas odor now and again.

As far as the bathroom sink goes, I moved it to a different wall which I think severed the vent, maybe I'm wrong. The old sink drain went into the wall with a P trap. I believe it was vented along side the toilet - toilet still uses said vent I would imagine since it did not move. The new sink drains into the floor with an S trap and connects with what comes out of the Sump Pump.

One thing I've noticed is that the new bath sink's S trap does NOT slow the drain, it's flows normal. When I run the washer though, you can hear a great amount of noise and probably syphoning from the bathroom sink. Then the smell of sewer gas. I'm guessing it is using the sink as a vent? Toilet and shower are on separate runs.

Anyhow, I could really use some advice on what should be done to fix the issues at hand. Perhaps a diagram showing how it really all should be hooked up? Pics attached for reference.
pipes.jpg

diagram.jpg

crawldrain.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I'm not a plumber - but I'll comment on your set up until someone else comes along.
1) The washer drain needs to dump into a pipe with a P-trap or else you will have sewer gas coming out of the pipe.
2) The kitchen sink (as shown on drawing) has two p-traps. It only needs one.
3) The sump pump is trying to pump water into the bathroom sink. The bath sink should be connected to the other side of the sump (the inlet).

Where do the toilets connect to the sewer line?

Is that sump pump designed for waste water - or is it for ground water and someone has connected into it just for the kitchen sink and washing machine? I'm trying to understand the complete plumbing set up.

Last edited:

terzdesign

Reaction score
I'm not a plumber - but I'll comment on your set up until someone else comes along.
1) The washer drain needs to dump into a pipe with a P-trap or else you will have sewer gas coming out of the pipe.
2) The kitchen sink (as shown on drawing) has two p-traps. It only needs one.
3) The sump pump is trying to pump water into the bathroom sink. The bath sink should be connected to the other side of the sump (the inlet).

Where do the toilets connect to the sewer line?

Is that sump pump designed for waste water - or is it for ground water and someone has connected into it just for the kitchen sink and washing machine? I'm trying to understand the complete plumbing set up.

I'm not sure the intention of the sump. The basement has never flooded, nor does it look to ever have as half of it is finished.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The basin has a pump for the lower portion of the home. One of the 2" pipes is from the pump with a check valve and a shutoff, needed for when the pump is serviced. That 2" line goes to a 4" waste line, and at the least, a 3".
The other 2" pipe is a vent for the basin.
Below the concrete, there should be either a 3" or 4" waste line for the lower floor. This enters into the side of the basin.

lgbasin.gif

Right now, I see that you are dropping a washer and a kitchen sink into the pump vent. Not cool.
The pump vent goes out through the roof.
The washer ties into the intake below the slab. The washer needs a p-trap, standpipe and a vent for the standpipe that goes outside.
The upstairs lav and kitchen sink, if tied into a higher waste line that bypasses the basin, could use AAV's to vent the p-traps. There needs to be at least one vent through the roof there, which may be on the toilet.
You absolutely have sewer gas in the basement all the time.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks like someone stopped by the liquor store on the way home from the supply house. And, had no business being in either one.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
He stopped by the liquor store and hired a "wino" to do the plumbing while he celebrated at the tavern. That system is so screwed up that the only REAL solution is to tear it all out and have a "REAL PLUMBER" redo it.

terzdesign

Reaction score
He stopped by the liquor store and hired a "wino" to do the plumbing while he celebrated at the tavern. That system is so screwed up that the only REAL solution is to tear it all out and have a "REAL PLUMBER" redo it.

I would If I hadn't already hired an imbecile 'plumber' to run some water lines only to completely make a royal mess, but only after taking my money. No, if I can do this myself I will at least try. All I need is some help with drawing up a diagram for what needs to go where.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
In his heart, he'd rather be doing what we do. I run into it every day. I've learned to roll with it. Bob Vila didn't do us any favors.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks