Issues with contractor work, removed 90% of joist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Br1Guy

Reaction score
I just had issues with the contractor because he removed probably 90% of a joist which you can see in the second attached picture. The first attached picture was where the joist butted up to a support joist where the shower used to be. When asking the contractor about removing so much material from the choice he told me it was not a load bearing choice, that it was just a nailer joist. This made absolutely no sense to me. He said because the joist didn't go all the way to the other wall and stopped in the support where the shower was that it wasn't load bearing and just a nailer. I think I might part ways with them, but in the event I am wrong, would this be acceptable? Side note, he was moving a drain over

for the shower farther down. Thanks in advance!

PXL_20220125_001334806.jpg

PXL_20220125_003640352.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I just had issues with the contractor because he removed probably 90% of a joist which you can see in the second attached picture. The first attached picture was where the joist butted up to a support joist where the shower used to be. When asking the contractor about removing so much material from the choice he told me it was not a load bearing choice, that it was just a nailer joist. This made absolutely no sense to me. He said because the joist didn't go all the way to the other wall and stopped in the support where the shower was that it wasn't load bearing and just a nailer. I think I might part ways with them, but in the event I am wrong, would this be acceptable? Side note, he was moving a drain over for the shower farther down. Thanks in advance!
A picture would help. Can't really tell you anything without more context.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I see. My answer is on the other post. But since this hit did this your gonna need to fix it. Or he will at least.

Did a plumber do this?

Br1Guy

Reaction score
I see. My answer is on the other post. But since this hit did this your gonna need to fix it. Or he will at least.

Did a plumber do this?
I don't think I saw your other answer in this post, it seems like it didn't show up. This just happened tonight so nothing has been fixed yet.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ahh, that makes sense to the other response I had no idea there's two posts. This was a contractor doing plumbing work.
Yeah if anything you'd want a plumber doing contract work, not the other way around. It'll cost you though.

Better to hire a plumber and carpenter who work together.

Reach4

Reaction score
Any comments on my thought that the shocking big hole in the joist of the first picture predates the new plumbing by years?

Br1Guy

Reaction score
Yeah if anything you'd want a plumber doing contract work, not the other way around. It'll cost you though.

Originally I planned on doing the work myself and was going to hire a plumber. This is been years in the waiting so I just got a contractor to handle it all and have this to deal with. My one other question is at the wye in the first picture. The street part is going to the bathtub and the branch is going to go to the vent. Is there issues with that being on its side?

Br1Guy

Reaction score
Any comments on my thought that the shocking big hole in the joist of the first picture predates the new plumbing by years?
There was a smaller notch at first for the bathtub that was there. He then removed everything else to try to get a different drain in for the new shower going in. This is definitely a joist. There was only a small amount originally taken out for the old drain.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score

There is some issue with it. In practice flat venting is done all of the time. Technically the vent should be vertical all the way to 42 inches above the floor. Then it can go to horizontal.

If the vent acts as a drain for your lavatory then horizontal thre while way is fine.

Reach4

Reaction score
There was a smaller notch at first for the bathtub that was there. He then removed everything else to try to get a different drain in for the new shower going in. This is definitely a joist. There was only a small amount originally taken out for the old drain.
You don't buy into the grayish brown color indicating that the shocking big cut is old and therefore pre-existing? We are talking about this picture, right?

index.php

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
It does look as if the joist was fully cut prior. He just fit it up a little more.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
You don't buy into the grayish brown color indicating . . .
Since the outside of the PVC looks gray in the photo, I don't know how much you want to draw conclusions based on the apparent color of the wood.

Cheers, Wayne

Br1Guy

Reaction score
You don't buy into the grayish brown color indicating that the shocking big cut is old and therefore pre-existing? We are talking about this picture, right?

index.php
Here is a different picture with the flash on.

Attachments

• PXL_20220127_050316439.jpg
    PXL_20220127_050316439.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 117

Br1Guy

Reaction score
There is some issue with it. In practice flat venting is done all of the time. Technically the vent should be vertical all the way to 42 inches above the floor. Then it can go to horizontal.

If the vent acts as a drain for your lavatory then horizontal thre while way is fine.
Ok, good to know. Thanks. Also, after the one end goes through the wood, the pipe is supported by a floating 2x4 on the drywall below as well and the p-trap is sitting on the drywall too. If angled correctly, is it ok? Or, should a more permanent support be used?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ok, good to know. Thanks. Also, after the one end goes through the wood, the pipe is supported by a floating 2x4 on the drywall below as well and the p-trap is sitting on the drywall too. If angled correctly, is it ok? Or, should a more permanent support be used?
Probably something better

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks