Issues with contractor work, removed 90% of joist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Br1Guy

Reaction score
I just had issues with the contractor because he removed probably 90% of a joist which you can see in the second attached picture. The first attached picture was where the joist butted up to a support joist where the shower used to be. When asking the contractor about removing so much material from the choice he told me it was not a load bearing choice, that it was just a nailer joist. This made absolutely no sense to me. He said because the joist didn't go all the way to the other wall and stopped in the support where the shower was that it wasn't load bearing and just a nailer. I think I might part ways with them, but in the event I am wrong, would this be acceptable? Thanks in advance!

PXL_20220125_001334806.jpg

PXL_20220125_003640352.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I see the pictures address on this post, but not the other.

Sometimes shower or bath areas are boxed out and the joists are cut out and replaced with more joists that are smaller to both stiffen up that area and allow for piping. That said generally you can't cut through a joist like that, as the area is stiffened up to accommodate heavy things like granite slabs and heavy shower bases.

Without seeing how it all connects I'm gonna say...no that should not be done.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I cant tell maybe its just a block he cut. but generaly no you dont just wack a joist in 2

Reach4

Reaction score
Looking at the first picture, a lot of the cut-out area (marked A) appears to be oxidized gray, which would seem to indicate a long time since the cut.

img_4.jpg
The place marked B seems to show a color expected for newly-exposed wood.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
so there is one pic of a square hole in floor and a d shaped hole thats sorta round , which appear unrelated to do with the hatchet hole and alleged joist notch .
Re read OP post and In answer where you say "In event I am wroing, would this be acceptable?" Yea if your wrong and they are right I suppose its fine

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks