Issues replacing an antique toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

JRG_52

Reaction score
I'm trying to replace a 1950s era toilet in an older house in Seattle. I just posted a question about keeping or replacing this toilet in the toilet forum, so I'm covering all bases here. The supply line comes up through the tile floor, and will interfere with the footprint of every new toilet that we can find. The waste side is cast iron with a curved lead pipe from the cast iron to the flange.

I know I can put a plastic sleeve into the lead pipe to create a modern flange. Can I just use a wax ring without messing with the adaptor? Are there other/better options? I'd rather not mess with the cast iron drain pipe if possible.

How about moving the water supply line? My guess is that I'd need to cut into the wall behind the toilet and probably into the wall and ceiling of the floor below. I'm ok with the plaster work, but I'm worried about the plumbing joint. I don't know what type of pipe I'm going to run into and the thought of sweating copper inside a small cavity scares me. I really don't want to burn the house down... I figured I'd pull the pipe out of the floor, plug the hole in the tile, and then cover the old hole with the new toilet - probably something like a Toto Carlyle 2.

What would you do? Are there any plumbers online who could give me an estimate for this work?

Thanks!

Flapper

Reaction score
I don't know what type of pipe I'm going to run into and the thought of sweating copper inside a small cavity scares me.
If you have copper, CPVC, or PEX, then you can use push fittings which are great for people like you. If it's galvanized pipe then it may be tough because you have to go back to the last joint and unscrew the pipe (which will probably be difficult and you'd need two large pipe wrenches) but once you succeed you can screw in a thread to push fitting adapter and then use copper, cpvc, and/or pex to do your thing. 1b327adb-0b09-4dcc-bc70-3945ba250304_400.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks