Issue with old water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

Sluggo

Reaction score
The gas-fired water heater for my home needs to be replaced. It has started a small, oozing drip from the bottom in a location where it can't do any damage at that low rate (concrete floor in basement). For reasons too complicated to explain, I can't get a new one installed for a couple of weeks. Do I need to worry about this tiny oozing turning into a catastrophic leak in the meantime?

Reach4

Reaction score
While things are probably going to be OK if you wait.

If you are worried enough, put a water alarm on the floor. When you leave long enough, put the WH into vacation mode, and close the input water valve.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Maybe and maybe not.
A lot depends on where it's leaking from. If it's a weld joint leaking, it could get worse in a hurry. At least the garage should be sloped toward the doors.
If it's a weep at a threaded joint, it may take a while.

Sluggo

Reaction score
Thanks. I'll keep a close eye on it and maybe shut it down if I'm away from the house for more than the day. I can't tell exactly where it's coming from as it is so slow and not dripping...more slowly oozing somewhere from the underside and not likely from a fitting.

Sluggo

Reaction score
Ok...I went to shut off the water supply to the heater and I noticed a little puddle of water on top of the water heater by the cold fitting, and then I realized that there was a little leak coming out of the threads at the end of the flex connector, so it's not actually the water heater leaking. I put a pair of wrenches on it and stopped the weep (at least for now). So my question now is: Should I replace the flex connector or just leave it alone?

Reach4

Reaction score
put a pair of wrenches on it and stopped the weep (at least for now). So my question now is: Should I replace the flex connector or just leave it alone?
I think you are saying that the leak was between the flex connector and whatever it was screwed too. I would say leave it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks