Issue with Goulds Jet Pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Jim-E O

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
My parents are having issues with their water system. They live on a remote island, next to a small remote town in Alaska, so getting someone out to come look at things is a bit of a challenge. I found this website through google and I'm really hoping someone here can help me.

So they have a shallow well, which catches water from their rain gutters. It is then fed to a Goulds Jet pump, which pumps to a pressurised water tank. The issue they are having is, Sometimes the pump's start switch just keeps clicking on and off. I can hear and see the clicking coming from the back of the pump. It will pump water, but it will keep doing this until it trips the thermal overload and shuts off. While it is doing this, the pump keeps pumping water but only in spurts. I'm not sure if it is short cycling, turning on and off or if the only problem is that the start switch, which deactivated the start capacitor, is not working. The odd thing about this is, that it only does it sometimes. At the time of writing this, the whole system is working fine. The pressure gets low, 20 PSI, the pressure switch activates the pump, the pump comes on, clicks once and then continues to run perfectly until the cut off pressure is reached, 40 PSI. I have no idea why it does this sometimes and then other times I will just hear the pump clicking, pumping a little water and then over heating and shutting off. I took a short video of the pump with my cell phone and I believe you can view that video here:

Like I said it is very difficult and expensive to get someone out here to look at it, so I will appreciate any help at all. Thanks Guys

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
That gizmo with the springs on the end of the shaft switches between start and run windings by centripetal force. If the motor doesn't get up to speed, it drops back to the start windings. Too much time on the start windings will trip the thermal overload.

Aside from replacing/cleaning the contacts or replacing the start cap, there is not much more user serviceable parts in there. Given the remoteness, getting a new pump might be the best option and then send that one off to be repaired.

Jim-E O

Reaction score
That gizmo with the springs on the end of the shaft switches between start and run windings by centripetal force. If the motor doesn't get up to speed, it drops back to the start windings. Too much time on the start windings will trip the thermal overload.

Aside from replacing/cleaning the contacts or replacing the start cap, there is not much more user serviceable parts in there. Given the remoteness, getting a new pump might be the best option and then send that one off to be repaired.

Thanks so much for the reply. The pump itself is brand new, do you think it could just be defective? Or is it possible there is something else wrong in the system, like it not getting enough power or an issue with the water source? Thanks again for the reply.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
It could possibly be an issue with power. Is it run from a solar inverter or utility power? Is it wired for 120V or 240V? How is the pressure switch wired? How is the pressure switch sense line plumbed? Do you see any bouncing or floating on the pressure switch contacts?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I can see the pressure switch is mounted on the pump but cannot make out if it is wired for 115 or 230. It would be best to wire it for 230 as that reduces the current across the contacts.

Pump mounted switches usually also run the sense line to the pump body which is not always ideal. If there is any distance or constriction between the pump and the pressure tank, it can cause the switch to bounce or float, reducing force on the contacts.

Also, watch the pressure gauge closely as the pump is about to start. If it takes a nose dive, then there might be too much air precharge in the tank.

Reach4

Reaction score
I did not see the pressure switch clicking, and you did not say anything about the pressure switch ticking. So I presume the pressure switch is not clicking until the pressure has risen to the shutoff point. That would be a significant symptom.

Find out the answers to LLigetfa's power questions.

If you could replace the jet pump with a submersible pump (which could be horizontal), you would get more power efficiency and quieter operation.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks