Issue with basement sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Timmed

Reaction score
Hi all - I have a really weird problem I have been unable to diagnose. Typical ranch house built in 1963. There is a utility room on the first floor with a large sink. Directly below the utility room is a basement kitchen, also with a sink. The two sinks seem to share the same 2" drain pipe, which then travels under the basement floor to the sewer main.

Both sinks drain perfectly without impacting each other. However, if I fill that utility room sink upstairs and then drain it, water comes shooting up like a geyser in the basement sink below it. I've had the drain line professionally snaked so I don't think there is a clog.

That basement sink used to have some kind of 1-way check valve in the drain line, but I removed it thinking maybe that was the problem. When the check valve was in place the basement sink merely had water gurgle up into it, but now with it removed, the water really shoots up.

My theory is that dumping the upstairs drain might fill that down pipe with so much water that it tries to seek level, and pushes up through the basement sink. So in other words, if the water level in the drain pipe is above the sink in the basement, physics is going to push up the water seeking level.

Is it against code to have those 2 sinks sharing the same vertical drain line? Any ideas on how I might fix this? Thanks in advance, Tim

Reach4

Reaction score
Is it against code to have those 2 sinks sharing the same vertical drain line?
No.

That basement sink used to have some kind of 1-way check valve in the drain line, but I removed it thinking maybe that was the problem. When the check valve was in place the basement sink merely had water gurgle up into it, but now with it removed, the water really shoots up.
Clearly the former owner had the same problem and came up with that unusual workaround.

You could run another drain line.

I wonder if the drain cleaning person could snake the line, where it turns from vertical to horizontal below the basement floor , better. Cutting a section of drain line out above the basement sink could give better cleanout access. I am not a plumber, but I did cut out a section of line for better cleaning access. Put the cut-out piece back in place with two flex couplings.

I did my drain cleaning with a Brasscraft medium drain bladder.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Likely a sanitary tee drain where there should have been a wye and revent (back vent).

I think I'd cut open the wall and repipe.

If you decide to cut open the wall share a picture and we'll tell you what we think.

Reach4

Reaction score
The two sinks seem to share the same 2" drain pipe, which then travels under the basement floor to the sewer main.
The pipe may be 1-1/2 inch (1.90 OD) rather than 2 inch.

Timmed

Reaction score
John - Not even a sanitary tee in the basement location, looks like it just got plumbed into a clean-out. Would that explain the behavior I'm seeing?

Attachments

• 2021-09-10 15.31.44.jpg
    2021-09-10 15.31.44.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 113

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
What's that?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210911-203238_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210911-203238_Chrome.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 111

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have seen what your seeing without filling the horizontal drain pipe at the bottom of a stack. A sanitary tee doesn't fight off water falling from above very well.

Timmed

Reaction score
I have seen what your seeing without filling the horizontal drain pipe at the bottom of a stack. A sanitary tee doesn't fight off water falling from above very well.
Thanks again John. That pic is the piping for the basement sink. Was trying to show that it doesn't even have a sanitary tee, looks just like a 90 degree cleanout it's connected to.

So if I tore that cast iron out, the basement drain should either have a separate line to the sewer main, OR I could put a wye pipe off the main drainline to give the basement sink more protection.

Thanks Tim

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
its a stoppage ! just because you got a 1/4 inch hole through it with a snake dosent mean its fixed

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks