Issue on toilet install

Users who are viewing this thread

yabadabadoo1026

Reaction score
So the tank on this bowl was wobly and I seemingly (maybe as a result) have a bad leak when flushing from the tank to bowl gasket. Tank said Kohler 4512 and the triangle bowl gasket to include in the one piece the 3 hole inserts that the bolts went thru. Picked the designated one up at HD . put on the tank and could not line up the 3 tank holes to the bowl holes, not even close. After a lot of cussing and insistence this was the wrong gasket kit or it cut wrong I calmed down to where I could think clearly and without the gasket set the tank on the bowl and even then couldn't get tank holes and bowl holes to align. This explains why the idiot before only attached it with 1 bolt and cut off 2 or the other legs of the triangle gasket and just plugged the other 2 holes in the tank.

I can only conclude the idiot replaced the original 3 hole tank maybe of another brand with the Kohler tank OR MORE LIKLEY mounted the bowl before affixing the tank. Only way to get the holes of this tank and bowl to align is to move and reposition the bowl out from the wall another inch or so. The tank needs to be setting back further from the bowl than it can now already against the wall.

I'm sure mounting a toilet at construction is not a big project but the issue now is the floor is tilled and I need to reposition that bowl. Never having installed one to know how the attachement of the bowl to the floor works can someone advise if that can be done without having to removed lots of tile. If it requires all that I might not be inclined to not do that which gets me back to some gasket and just attaching with 1 bolt again and plugging the other 2 tank holes and continue to have wobble. CAN NEW CLEAN HOLES BE DRILLED INTO A BOWL WITH SOME TYPE OF PROPER BIT OR THIS PORCELAIN IS NOT DRILLABLE?

Thoughts please, seems like what should be simple plumbing projects too often turn into a major headache.

Thanks all!!

Attachments

• tank and bowl hole issue.jpg
    tank and bowl hole issue.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 196
  • kohler tabk to bowl gasket.jpg
    kohler tabk to bowl gasket.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
It would be unusual for modifying a tank to be a better option than replacing the toilet.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You might have a 10" rough closet flange and a 12" rough toilet.
Measure from the bolts to the back wall. Most toilets need at least 11.5" for the tank to fit. If you have less than that, you could be looking at picking up something that will install for a 10" rough.
The K-4512 tank is a discontinued model.

wellworth-94.jpg

1994 Kohler Wellworth

wellworth_1994.jpg

1994 Kohler Wellworth

Last edited:

yabadabadoo1026

Reaction score
I've attached a pic since your post which I appreciate the fast response. If I replace the toilet wont I have the same issue I have moving this one out a bit so the tank hole align?---back to my question can a flange be put in after tile in without removing tile-------------I'll do what you suggest Terry and get back. Yes I know this model # is long gone, from the 70s

As I think about it guess you may be saying another bowl with tank attached may work with the existing flange bolts in the floor and that would be a solution

Last edited:

yabadabadoo1026

Reaction score
seems the jackass installer had the flange bolts 8 3/4 from the wall so no wonder the tank didn't fit aligned on the bowl holes, you'd think he would have attached tank and seen he needed to readjust the flange bolts for it all to come together. In the other bathroom the bolt is 9 1/2 from the wall and all seems ok there

I'm not looking for a major project so now question again what are my options if any-------can new holes be drilled on bowl or is that an absolute no go--------is it solid or hollow inside?

sure if I removed the toilet I'd learn something and have better idea what im talking about----suspect the drain from the toilet would be mis-positioned as well if the bowl seemingly is

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Are you 8-3/4" from the "wall" or to the baseboard?
It's the wall we care about. The tank can't be offset to the bowl. There is a hole in the bowl and a hole in the tank which the rubber tank to bowl seal is for. If it doesn't line up, you will have water all over the floor every time you flush.
Some 10" rough toilets will install at 9-1/4"

yabadabadoo1026

Reaction score
terry, if you look at the pic I sent I'm not wanting to reposition the tank on the bowl-------the pic shows it positioned as it was when I removed it ( working but leaking at the gasket) with just the hole towards the back matching up. I'm asking can I drill 2 holes in the bowl for a bolt to go thru those 2 tank holes as well to secure. It is positioned on the bowl for the gasket to do its thing. To your question, the base looks like 1/4 to make the mounting flange 9" from the wall approx. Me never had a toilet out to see whats going on, is there any play/adjustment in there at all for dimensions, I realize if you move the bowl a bit it still has to match up with the drain.

Yeah, I could talk about this more intelligently for sure if I knew what it looked like under a toilet. I have a lady in the neighborhood whole give me a free toilet since she just did a bathroom redo but would I not have the same issue with hers since working with the same dimensions? Again this toilet was mounted with 1 tank to bowl screw in and he plugged the other 2 holes--------seemingly he didn't try to make any adjustment if there was any to make the 3 holes align. I could get it back to how it was before with a new gasket and be operational----not the end of the work if it wobbles a bit with just 1 of the 3 screws in but I'd rather secure it better if 2 holes can be drilled in porcelain if no adjustment at the bowl spacing from the wall to let all 3 holes align.

I do appreciate your input.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I think you are moving into uncharted territory here. Whatever you do, you need to post pictures or the stories you tell will be lost to history and pilgrims from the old world will have lost the knowledge.

You can drill porcelain. Are you sure that tank was the original tank for that bowl? I'm thinking you have a 1994 tank on an older bowl.

yabadabadoo1026

Reaction score
At this point I too feel inclined to think this tank and bowl were not matched originals. I'm the second owner of house and this im sure is a 1972 tank which im suspecting the bowl was replaced with another 3 bolt that didn't match up To explain why he plugged 2 holes and cut 2 legs off the triangle gasket. Not the end of the world if I stop the leak with a gasket and mount again with 1 bolt , plugging 2 holes and having some wobble---------I'd prob regret it if drilling couple holes in the bowl makes me a bigger issue. Didnt expect a simple fix to turn into a major headache but that happens too often. Thanks, Terry ( seems a couple of the pics I call myself attaching to a post didn't take--------will try to get them up again later)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks