Island Loop Vent - Is this ok?

Users who are viewing this thread

Wilbur70

Reaction score
Hey Everyone.

I'm running the kitchen sink drain and vent in an island. I'm in Toronto.
My drain is 8feet from the nearest wall.
the joist space is only 7.5 inches deep.

Most layouts of loop vents that I have seen can't be squeezed into that joist space.

So I need to squeeze in the loop vent system in this small height of space, while still having room for the drain to slope down and the vent to slope up.

This is what I have arrived at so far (just fitted together)
A is the 1.5" vent pipe and B will be in the nearest wall with cleanout
C is the 2" drain
J is sanitary tee where the 2" drain turns to the 1.5" vent and a 1.5" horizontal drain for the trap

D is a 45 degree wye
E is 45 street
F is long sweep 90
G is a san tee
H is a long sweep 90

Is there anything wrong with this layout?
Does the horizontal vent have to be a certain height above the horizontal drain pipe?

Any advice you can give would be welcome.
Island vent.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
island_sink_bert_polk.jpg

It should have wyes or combos below the flood level. You can see in this one how the foot vent can be snaked back to the main line.
The kitchen drain is 2" up to the trap arm which can be 1-1/2".

Wilbur70

Reaction score
Thanks Terry,
So is the only thing wrong with mine is that I have a san tee at G, but is should be a wye?

I've studied your pic before (and used it a lot, thanks), but it won't fit in a 7" space.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A side bit of info...when you dry fit plastic pipe, then put it together, you will almost always come up short. In a normal fitting, you cannot bottom out the pipe unless it is glued which helps both lubricate it, and literally melt some of the plastic. As a result, while it may appear tight when dry fit, once you try to then glue it all up, the pipe goes further into the fitting, and things don't end up where you expected them to be.

If the area below is finished space, sometimes the easier way to handle it is to build a chase to hide it. It's not elegant, but if done carefully, can still look decent.

Wilbur70

Reaction score
The space below is already finished and has pot lights already installed so running a chase doesn't work.

Thanks for the advice around dry fitting.

Besides the san tee in the original, is there anything else wrong with what I've done so far?

MKS

Reaction score
It is difficult to tell from the pictures but vents are from vertical to 45 from vertical. Your DEFG in picture. Not sure if this applies here.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks