Is volume control really necessary for bathtub/ shower combo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dzd9fy2

Reaction score
In the process of renovating an existing bathtub/ shower combination and having a debate over the need for volume control.

Currently planning for just a Grohe temp control 350 15000 with a diverter spout and a hand shower in place of the traditional arm mounted shower head.

My thoughts are most people let the water run full blast for shower and vary rarely is there the need to dial back the volume when filling a tub. Plus I like the simplicity of a single lever vs. two or adding a separate volume valve. Also have been sold on the quality of Grohe based upon past use.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The volume control, (really just a fancy shutoff valve), is necessary when you are running MORE than one item off the same valve outlet. That does not seem to apply to your installation.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
When it became necessary to replace my shower/tub valve, my wife asked if it would be possible to get one with a volume control. I shopped and found a Delta that had the feature and we really like it. No, it isn't used that often, but nice when it is needed. Single handle controls off/on and volume. Anti scale dial allows temperature to be raised/lowered to individual preference, but not to the point of injury. Your question was is it necessary. Guess the answer is no, but my question is why not?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I use the volume control on my shower to help until it warms up the lines...i.e., run it low so I can get into the shower and close the door without being in the spray until it is hot, then turn it up full. If I had children, I think it might be useful when they're young to make the spray slightly less full. Other than that, fully on/off probably isn't a big deal...millions of valves work that way.

Note, some thermostatic, stand-alone valves need a shutoff for them to work properly, as they don't have one internally.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks