Is Vikrell just garbage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dprocket

Reaction score
I've special ordered two bath tub surround combos from a big box. I had to wait 3 weeks for each shipment. Both have arrived damaged. I've got a bathroom re-plumbed and roughed in for a specific tub. The specs are exact and I've re-routed quite a bit of draining and supply lines to accommodate it. But at this point, I'm wondering if I've just had bad luck, or is Vikrell just garbage?

If I choose another product, I'm concern about the amount of re-work I'll have to do. I'm just really frustrated at this point. Of course, the Big box apologizes, and the manufacturer really doesn't care. At this point it's basically "want to order it again? it will be 3 weeks".

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I normally pick up my supplies at wholesale. There is a lot less chance of breakage with them. The Sterling units are just fine once you receive one in good condition to start with. They don't drop out of a flatbed well.

accord_wild_14.jpg

Last edited:

ImOld

Octogenerian
Reaction score
If at all possible, I have orders sent to a store for my inspection and pickup. I've even had the store remove my order from packing to examine it completely. A number of orders have been rejected and replaced. As Terry said, nothing wrong with the product, just the handling.
Manufacturer's are slowly learning to make packing bullet proof. I got an entire glass shower enclosure that was completely encased in molded edge brackets, 1/2" rigid foam and the thickest cardboard outer casing I've ever seen. Maybe the big GLASS stickers helped too.

HudsonDIY

Reaction score
If the shipment went through the big box I'd be surprised if you get one intact. It seems like their warehouses relish in dropping, crushing and otherwise mishandling merchandise.

Having experience in both the appliance and millwork industry and also personally having gone through no less than 3 leaky water heaters recently due to mishandling, I can tell you if you can cut the big box out of the equation you're in a much better way.

Dprocket

Reaction score
Ok, the third time is the charm. Finally got it in, and it is not damaged. I was able to install it last night. Now, to connect the plumbing, etc. Thanks for the feedback.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks