Is troubleshooting and replace a defrost sensor and/or a defrost circuit board a DIY project?

Users who are viewing this thread

gfr92y

Reaction score
Forum Members,

I have a 12-year-old Bryant / Carrier / Model 25HBC336W0030010 heat pump that was given a clean bill of health last October by HVAC repair company A.

Monday night, it frosted/froze up and Tuesday morning, a tech from HVAC repair company B said the refrigerant level was fine but with doing a resistivity test or an ice cube and screwdriver, decided the defrost sensor and defrost circuit board needed to be replaced.

I know essentially nothing about heat pumps, but have sufficient technical acumen to not have any mechanics touch any of my cars or my children’s cars in 23 years (except for aligning and balancing tires).

With your help, can I confirm whether or not the defrost sensor and the defrost circuit board are bad and replace the bad component or both components if that it the practice with Heat pumps?

Thank you very much for your assistance on this project.

Sincerely,

Gfr92y

Defrost Circuit Board.jpg
Defrost Sensor.jpg

Last edited:

Fitter30

Reaction score
Have you seen the outside unit coils a block of ice with no heat in the house? If not the defrost must be working. The board and sensor is just unplugs take a pic of the board so u know where all the wires go if u decide to replace them. Coils frost up defrost cycle last 10 - 20 minutes factory set for 90 minutes and is adjustable by dip switches on the board 30-60-90-120.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks