Is this wet vent right? (IPC)

Users who are viewing this thread

FixItPeter

Reaction score
Looking to find out if the following diagram is ok under IPC. I'm told that it is, but I would like to double check.

Wet vent:

ipc.jpg

Thanks,

:)

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Some more dimensions probably needed; looks pretty wet to my unprofessional eye.

FixItPeter

Reaction score
The shwr and bt, and lav are 1.5" -- what other info do you need? The branches from the 3" (shwr, bt, and lav are 2-3')
The 3" is about 10'.

Thanks for the quick reply! :)

Pete

Prashster

Reaction score
I don't think you can vent everything through that 1.5" lav line. There was another post about this kind of thing a week or two back on here.

If it were me I'd make vents for each fixture.

In your config, the toilet can self siphon if dist to vent is too large OR if sink is on.
The shower drain should be 2" (in my town, at least). At 1.5" it can suck the air out of the toilet if it can't get it through the vent or its own drain.

Last edited:

FixItPeter

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I thought of that too, if you were to run the sink full and then flush the bowl, where will the air come from that gets displaced? It would suck the nearest trap dry. I'm having a heck of time finding a plumber that can do this via a wet vent -- why is that?

Oh well, anyway... if anyone knows of a way to do this with out having a vent on each unit, that would be a big help.

Thanks,

Pete

FixItPeter

Reaction score
Ok, just as I spoke too soon... here's what another guy came up with:

alexvent.jpg

What do you think of that?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would let anyone do that to my house.

I see so many drain problems when systems are not vented right.
The homeowners keep calling out plumbers to snake drains, and all they saved in the beginning was maybe $25 in pipe and fittings.

That $25 will seem very cheap later after the plumbing calls start to pile up.

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
Yes, under IPC you may wet vent up to two bathroom groups (plus emergency floor drains in each bathroom) on one wet vent be it vertically or horizontally. Toilet, lav, shower or bathtub or shower/tub combo, bidet...one fixture each for each bathroom.

Something else......here in my neck of the woods, under IPC you aren't allowed to flat vent at all. The second drawing looks like you have a flat vent coming off the toilet.

I threw together a quick and VERY rough drawing. The toilet, lav and shower all come off the same horizontal plane as the branch. The bathtub is individually vented downstream of the wet vent. (Remember shower or bathtub or shower/tub combo.)

Good luck

P/S....I guess it wouldve helped if I sized the drawing, huh? Horizontal branch-3", shower-2", lav-1 1/2", tub-1 1/2", vent(s) 1 1/2"

Attachments

• scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 2,660
Last edited:

Prashster

Reaction score
1. I still don't see a vent for the shower in yr latest pic. Assuming there's going to be a dividing wall between the shower and the toilet, then can you vent up through that wall and around the back of the toilet to tie into your 'side vent'. This'd give the shower its own vent. I believe that it's ok to vent a toilet back like this.

2. I'd vent the lav higher. It looks like it's taking off in the ground, which'd be below the trap of the lav, which is a no-no (it'd be an S-trap, which can siphon).

Here's a (crude) pic. Please verify with a pro; I ain't one!!!

Attachments

• alexvent2.jpg
    alexvent2.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 12,608
Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

The tub and shower are still not vented. The lavatory uses an illlegal "S" trap. You cannot use sanitary tees under the floor. And I would not use 1 1/2" laterals. Other than that it is okay.

FixItPeter

Reaction score
hj said:
The tub and shower are still not vented. The lavatory uses an illlegal "S" trap. You cannot use sanitary tees under the floor. And I would not use 1 1/2" laterals. Other than that it is okay.

How is the tub and shower still not vented? Where does it say sanitary tees in that diagram? (wye on a 45* -- would be correct no?) -- What would you use for the laterals, 2" -- how do you fit a 2" trap in a 2x6 joist? Or would you have a 1.5 trap going into a 2" branch?

(Are you the same "hj" from the pl*g forum?)

FixItPeter

Reaction score
Also, you indicate that a sanitary tee can't be in the floor... here's an image of a shower pan utilizing a san tee ...

Could you explain that?

showervent.jpg

Thanks, Pete

Prashster

Reaction score
In my town that latest shower pic would be LEGAL only if that vent is dry; ok to use sanitary tees for dryvent-to-drain connex's.

FixItPeter

Reaction score
Totally different.

Well, after many many many versions... I think we are much closer to RIGHT way...

Please, be patient with me and let me know what you think:

NOCUT.jpg

(Now that I look at the picture some more... I wonder if I could send the vents on the WC and the SHWR our to the left. Less of a lateral run for the vents...) -- Just a thought.

This picture *I* made... so *I* can change it as the ideas/recommendation change.

Thanks,

Pete

Prashster

Reaction score
Vents are not supposed to take off horizontally (<45 deg) from the drain. When water is draining down the shower and toilet, how's it gonna know to go down the water and not down the vent? Even with some slope, high volumes of water will block a good portion of the vent unless it takes off from the top.

I think the only exception to this is the toilet, which can be rear vented upstream of the closet bend. Why don't you vent the toilet back up the rear wall, and run the shower drain under the partition wall so you can have a vert takeoff? I posted a pic earlier. What's the prob with it?

Also, I'd tie the vents together in the wall of this story b4 going to attic. This'll save some plate penetrations.

FixItPeter

Reaction score
pr,

The wyes that you see there wouldn't be horizontal. They would be rolled on 45*. Like you see here:

wc.jpg

I'll go back and look at your pic again...

Pete

mn_nobody

Reaction score
i was always taught santee's weren't to be buried dry unless absolutely nessecary, that a combo or other method should be used if possible... that could well just be my neck of the woods.

FixItPeter

Reaction score
Now that I look more (yeah, imagine that!) -- as per IRC T3105.1

Why not just have the waste lines go out the right like in the previous pic and then roll the wye below the upper wall and vent it there?

I could go 6' on the 1.5" Trap to Vent and 12' on the 3"...

No?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks