Is this the right softener?

Users who are viewing this thread

Anthony Mattas

Reaction score
I'm buying a new water softener to replace a failed Kenmore one. I have 3/4" pipe which currently is stepped up to a 1" FIP connection and then the Kenmore is connected to it.

I was going to buy the 1" (for simplicity of not having to sweat on new connections - I'm assuming the step up to larger pipe and step back down won't create any complications?) Fleck 9100SXT model rated for 40K grains with 10% Crosslink Resin.

We have
4 People in our House - But we have a pool (which isn't softened :)) which means a lot of summer guests
Hardness of 12 Grains
No Iron
PH of 8.6 (yes, that's really correct)
5.5 GPM at the hose bib outside
7.5 GPM at the garden tub (our current softener is only rated for 7 gpm, so its possible its higher and being restricted by the current softener).
Chlorine: .75-1PPM

So questions:
1. Am I good with the larger size connector for simplicity, or should I buy the 3/4" and sweat on new fittings?
2. Is this softener sized correctly (I think it's a tad oversized, but hopefully not to the point it causes problems)
3. The dealer offers a "Vortech" tank, everything I seem to find about them indicates it's not recommended.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The Vortech tank is fine. It has had some potential problems in the past but we have not really heard of anything in a few years. The problem was mainly with the 12" and 13" tanks, resin leakage etc. A standard USA made Structural or Enpress (the maker of the vortech) tank will do just as well. I would recommend getting the correct plumbing connectors. If you post some pictures of your current installation I can make some recommendations to make the installation very simple.

Anthony Mattas

Reaction score
Here's what I have now.

IMG_1257.jpg

IMG_1256.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
My inclination is the 9100SXT has a two meter options, 1" and 3/4". Since the 1" has a built in yolk without bypass, my inclination was to get the 3/4" Meter with the 1" Noryl Bypass Yolk and then use something like this to make the connection. http://falconstainless.com/product/1-i-d-male-x-female-connector/
You don't want to use softened water for lawn or garden watering.

A fleck 5600SXT softener with a 10x54 tank, with 1.5 cuft of resin, would do the job fine too. You could also consider a 12" x 52" 2.00 cu. ft. ( advertized "64,0000 grains ").

The Fleck 5800SXT is made for 3/4 inch plumbing.

The 9100sxt connections will come out to the right. The tanks will be 48 inches tall, and the pipes will be a little higher than that. So picture how the lines will sit.

IMG_6.png

Last edited:

Anthony Mattas

Reaction score
You don't want to use softened water for lawn or garden watering.

Correct, the red knob in the above picture is the line to the the outdoor bibs today.

I think my biggest question now is based on my pictures above, is the easiest thing to do with my current plumbing to get the 1" Yoke on the softener and use the hose I linked to for attachment?

On the sizing everything I'm reading says the 32,000 grain unit would be the perfect sizing, and the 40,000 is a little oversized which would be great for when we have guests staying.

Reach4

Reaction score
I am thinking that a single tank 1.5 cuft would do it. With dual tanks, there is not a need that each tank last about 7 days. With a 9100, usually 40000 means two 40000 tanks that alternate. Click Inbox above.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Totally agree. Put I in a properly sized single tank. You will reduce the complexity considerably.

Is your plumbing 3/4" copper? looking at the FIP on the old softener you have a 1" fip x 3/4" copper reducing fitting. This would indicate your plumbing is 3/4" copper. There are many great ways to connect to the plumbing and DIY should be fairly straight forward.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks